10speed chain with powerlock and cleaning

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
i use 9 speed sram chains with powerlink connectors which are easy to get apart to clean the chain, iam going to buy a frame to build up and was thinking of putting 10speed on it but it seems the 10speed chains use powerlock connectors to use once only so i would need to change everytime i remove the chain

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    So just buy a KMC chain.
  • chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    KMC ten speed chains come with master links that you can open and close at will.
  • thanks
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Yep, or you can buy any 10 speed chain that's not KMC and then buy a KMC powerlink for about £4 and use that with it if you don't want/have a kmc chain. I got five for a tenner once.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    ^^^this

for 10-speed i use sram chains with a kmc link, the sram link goes in the bin
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Get the BBB links from Wiggle. Cheap but do the job. I use them with SRAM chains, never had a problem:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bch-smartli ... connector/

As per sungod, SRAM link gets binned.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    I've re-used a Sram powerlink without problems in the past I'm sure.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    sram powerlink is re-usable, but this is not used on 10-speed chains

for 10-speed sram, it is powerlock, sram says it is not reusable

as i have no other use for them, i've tested removing powerlocks (using link pliers) to see what happens, very small shavings of metal are stripped from the locking plates, they then need less force to refit, presumably because the plates are damaged during removal, seems likely that risk of failure is increased

the consequences of a chain snapping could be nasty, sram says don't reuse a powerlock, personally i would follow their advice
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I have reused SRAM power lock many times without problems. I am probably at about 15 -20 times mark now. I also use KMC and they take about the same amount of force after the initial time.

You pays your money you take your chance.