Waterproof Jacket under £100

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all, looking for a new waterproof for the road (and mtb), quite like the Castelli Confronto, but its siding a bit on the expensive side. Can also get a Mavic Notch H20 for just under £70 in my LBS - anyone have any experiences of it? Any other recommendations?

Also looking for a new pair of winter gloves and looking at either the Altura Night Vision gloves or Sealskinz Ultra Grip Gloves - any experiences?

Thanks folks :D

Comments

• oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Halfrauds have a Sportful jacket knocked down to £50 from £100.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_273966
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    edited November 2013
    I got a Gore Path jacket for just over £70 from Wiggle in one of their sales a couple of years ago. It was about this time of year IIRC. Goretex Paclite material so it's 100% waterproof and pretty breathable too. It's more of a MTB cut than skinny road racing, but I think the slightly looser fit helps with the breathability.

Edit: Actually the Goretex jacket was £109 :oops: The Phantom softshell (which I wear far more frequently) was £70.

Looks like I'll be giving the Goretex an outing tonight; it's p1ssing down but I've eaten about a pound of cake / Kitkats / mini doughnuts that suddenly appeared at work, so I need a bit of a workout.
  • Stay away from big-name cycle brands. Simple.

Its all the same crap made in the same factories China and marked up to hell.

I say this because I just got some unbranded thermal leggings of eBay for £18. They are the exact same quality as my old Scott ones that cost me near 3 times the price!
  • Greer_
    That sportful jacket is out of stock in my size, but cheers anyway! I currently have just a windproof mavic espoir jacket - holds off the worst of the rain if I wear a LS jersey under it, but id quite like an actual waterproof now the weather is turning.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • i got the Castelli Confronto from Wiggle on the sale 2 weeks ago... I haven't wore it yet but the fit is a bit funny. i got the large... i've a 38 chest, 6'3" and 76kilos... its a small bit big so i think im going to return it for a medium. usually for italian clothing you would size up but i don't think so with this item.
    i worry that the medium might be a bit small in the arms and length in the back. its a risk you take when you buy online.
    just thought i'd let you know...
  • Greer_
    Cheers haha, I prefer a more race fit, but I think I might go for the mavic notch just because I know it's waterproof (and cheaper!)