Planet X Kaffenback

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited September 2014 in Commuting chat
Shortly I'll be in the market for a new workhorse bike and the Kaffenback 2 is ticking all the boxes so I'm looking for testimonials from owners.
The best thing since sliced bread or not fit for purpose?
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I was considering a Kaffenback/Pompetamine a little while ago, but I ended up going for a Genesis Day01, and I'm *really* happy with it. Its incredibly sturdy and stable, the kind of bike I'd imagine will outlast its owner.

Happy to give you a test ride on it if you'd be interested. Its a size 58.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I have one and looks very good on my bike stand! The build hasn't been as quick as I initially envisaged, although I'm sure the wait will be worth it in the end.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Rubertoe is a recent Kaffenback2 owner and High Barnet is norf lunnun-ish, so worth a pm if he doesn't see this thread.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I do indeed have a cafe and back mark two.

Eke and I unfortunately cant seem to get our heads together, but if you ever want to see it and we can get a time, then you are more than welcome.

I have had mine for about 4 weeks and have done about 500 miles so far.

Good
    It’s a lovely looking frame in the stealth black and the reflective detailing is a nice touch.

The on-one/planet x finishing kit is very nice and well made.

The Tiagra (4600) group set is on a pair with the now obsolete 105 5600 group set IMO and the shifting is just as good.

It has mudguard and rack mounts (I love full length guards).

The BB7 brakes are immense, the stopping power is better than the bb5's by a mile and 1000x better than the shimano offerings that I have used.

Its made of steel, it will outlast me.

It has the ability to run wide tyres (I am running 28 gatorskins ATM)

The geometry is not to stretched out and racy, which is perfect for me seeing as I spend most of my time on the hoods dodging cars.

Bad
    Its heavy. But not that so much so that you notice it.

The FSA chainset and BB are made of straw (this will be my first upgrade, but then I have a general loathe of FSA cranks/BBs anyway).

All in all, I really like it and am more than happy with it, this probably wont win any races, but then again it climbs just as well as the previous bikes I have ridden, it is comfortable to boot.

I can see me definitely keeping this bike for a long time, upgrading to lighter contact points, to shed a bit of weight over time, and a lighter set of handbuilts after the winter (there is nothing wrong with the stock shimano wheels for commuting) for longer rides.

It picks up speed well and travels over the black top nice and smoothly with the steel fork (maybe some weight to be saved here by going carbon) absorbing a lot of the vibration. It handles well and is pretty rapid (this may well be my hoy like thighs though).

I would recommend one for a do it all bike that should last a life time, but there are other bikes that are similar (Day One being one of them) that you will probably also need to consider.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    I've heard a lot of good things about Kaffenbacks. But, as NSB said might be worth looking at a Genesis as the only other comparable bike I can think of. Definitely worth looking at at least two options if you can. Assuming steel, rack, guards and discs are the criteria. A friend of mine has a CdF, cheaper version of the Croix de Fer, and it looks good. Although clearance for large tyres and guards is tighter than on my green thing.
    There is a 60cm Croix de Fer on the Bay here but it's not exactly local.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Other options worth looking at are Singular Peregrine and Cotic Roadrat. Both offer the same options as the Kaff and Day01 but also offer singlespeed / fixed with discs (Cotic allows you to move the callipers whilst the Peregrine has an eccentric bottom bracket).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    There's also the renewed range of Charge Plugs to consider.
  • rubertoe
    I know i am not selling it, just giving you options, have a look at the edinburgh co--op revolution bikes.

Seem pretty good value for money, especially the 2013 models that are discounted and they are giving an extra 15% off as well.

But, ignore all of that and get a Kaff.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• EKE_38BPM
    I've been looking at a Day One Alfine as well as the Kaffenback 2. I may be able to get a trade discount on Genesis bikes.

My criteria are disc brakes, load carrying ability (I'm finally fed up of carry a heavy rucksack), double/compact (hub gears get a special dispensation if they are not too heavy, reliable, have well spaced ratios) and £1k max. I'm not too fussed about speed (I will provide my own Power Awesome).

I'm going to Edinburgh on Friday so will pop into the Co-Op. I'll also stop at PX on the way home to see if I can talk myself into a better price on the Kaffenback ("Do me a deal, I'm training your next generation of customers!".
    I'll have a look at the Singular and Cotic. I had forgotten the RoadRat.

Rubertoe, check your PMs. I've sent you my number and can meet you any day apart from Friday (see above for why not).
    NSB, 58 is my size (I think). Meet sometime next week?

Edit: I forgot to include drop bars in my criteria. That may rule out the RoadRat as that has flats as standard.

• asprilla
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    That may rule out the RoadRat as that has flats as standard.

Indeed. I'm building mine with drops at the moment. Geometry seems to be fine, despite the long top tube.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • notsoblue
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    NSB, 58 is my size (I think). Meet sometime next week?
    Yep cool, lets sort something out. PM'd.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    A friend is selling his 11 speed hub geared Pompetamine. Just need to see what size it is and will get back
    11 speed hub gears, disc brakes - one of these I think
    http://road.cc/content/news/43692-just- ... e-versa-11
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    When PX say max tyre size is 32c they aren't kidding. Tried a 35c and it fitted the forks but not the frame, now having to run 32s for when the winter is bad.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • notsoblue
    dhope wrote:
    A friend is selling his 11 speed hub geared Pompetamine. Just need to see what size it is and will get back
    Great bike that, and Alfine 11 is pretty awesome.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    notsoblue wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Great bike that, and Alfine 11 is pretty awesome.

I've got one and honestly I regret buying it.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    redvee wrote:
    When PX say max tyre size is 32c they aren't kidding. Tried a 35c and it fitted the forks but not the frame, now having to run 32s for when the winter is bad.

yes, this is a major flaw in a supposed all-rounder, you can fit 28s and full guards but nothing bigger. I had one for a while and it was ok but I have a kinesis crosslight frame now which is lighter and much more versatile. Don't get hung up on steel, it's nothing special.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    jomoj wrote:
    redvee wrote:

yes, this is a major flaw in a supposed all-rounder, you can fit 28s and full guards but nothing bigger. I had one for a while and it was ok but I have a kinesis crosslight frame now which is lighter and much more versatile. Don't get hung up on steel, it's nothing special.

I got 32s with full guards but only just. Had to pull the guards out a little bit and makes the 25s look odd.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • veronese68
    jomoj wrote:
    redvee wrote:

I think I've been very restrained and haven't mentioned how much I like mine yet in this thread.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Yes, I have the pre-disc pro5 but am saving for a pro 6 f&f, wheels and brakes to modernise it. Sounds to me like a pro 6 would tick the OP's boxes apart from the ferrous thing-if that was a requirement.
  • notsoblue
    davis wrote:
    I've got one and honestly I regret buying it.
    Really? Why is that?
  • veronese68
    jomoj wrote:
    Yes, I have the pre-disc pro5 but am saving for a pro 6 f&f, wheels and brakes to modernise it. Sounds to me like a pro 6 would tick the OP's boxes apart from the ferrous thing-if that was a requirement.
    He's ridden my Pro6 so is well aware of them. I think it's the fact that it really is a workhorse that he needs that can put up with what will be very heavy use.
    Won't stop me saying how good it is though. :-)
  • EKE_38BPM
    I tried the Revolution Cross Pro, the Whyte Something Or Other, the Kaffenback, the Genesis Day One Alfine and Equilibrium.
    I looked at the Giant Revolt (the bloke in the shop wasn't impressed when I called it revolting) and their 'gravel' bike the Anyroad, the Boardman CX, the Spesh Tricross and I tried to look at and try the Cotic Roadrat but they are as rare as rockinghorseshit. I called Cotic and was told that the Roadrat's toptube is too long for drop bars but that they are bringing out a new frameset and complete bike in March. I couldn't wait that long.

After all that I pulled the trigger on the Kaffenback but the Revolution is a great bike and I nearly went for that. The Whyte suffered badly from heel strike in the rear disc.
    I didn't want to buy a bike from the big boys (Giant, Spesh etc) or Boardman in case you're wondering.

• rubertoe
    What colour EKE?

• asprilla
    I've got drops on my Roadrat. I was a bit worried about the TT length but took a punt. With a 90mm stem
    Instead of my usual 110mm it seems fine.

Not ridden it in anger yet though, will be doing that tomorrow, so I may change my opinion then.

Edit: I was wrong. Took it for a test ride and it's fractionally too long. Plan b enacted.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • EKE_38BPM
    rubertoe wrote:
    What colour EKE?
    Gritstone. I really like the reflective frame paint. I'd done research a while back about black reflectives with a mind to appling it to a bike frame and this has it already, so that was a massive positive.
    Asprilla wrote:
    I've got drops on my Roadrat. I was a bit worried about the TT length but took a punt. With a 90mm stem
    Instead of my usual 110mm it seems fine.

Not ridden it in anger yet though, will be doing that tomorrow, so I may change my opinion then.

Edit: I was wrong. Took it for a test ride and it's fractionally too long. Plan b enacted.

I went to one bike shop looking for a Roadrat and called another, both with a view to seeing one in the flesh and hopefully going for a test ride but neither had one in stock but told me that drop bars should go on fine. They both took my details to call me back but neither has so far. I called Cotic and had a chat with someone there who sounded pretty clued up. When I told him about putting drops on a Roadrat frame, and mentioned Asprilla's drop bar build, he instantly said the TT would be too long. Maybe with a short stem but then the steering would be too twitchy, so they are bringing out a frameset early next year with the Roadrat's dropouts but a shorter TT.

I didn't want to compromise on the fit of a bike I will be spending so much time on (at least 15 hours a week).

• rubertoe
    You wont be disapointed EKE.

I love mine.

• asprilla
    Mine will be dismantled this weekend and stuck eBay.

Ordered a Singular Peregrine frame this morning to replace it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • EKE_38BPM
    Asprilla wrote:

That bad?! Glad I didn't just jump in and go with the Roadrat.

I should have the Kaffenback this time next week.

• rubertoe
    The one thing i will say is keep an eye on the Crankset and use locktite

• asprilla
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

That bad?! Glad I didn't just jump in and go with the Roadrat.

I should have the Kaffenback this time next week.

It's not that bad, but I want something that's a perfect fit so I can sell a couple of other bikes. Besides the frame was second hand on eBay so it didn't cost much and I won't lose much on it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3