Gap Trail, Brecon Beacons

Jpallen71
Jpallen71 Posts: 14
edited November 2013 in Routes
Hi.
A few mates and myself are going to do this on Saturday, any advice or experiences any of you have would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• It's a great ride. I did it (clockwise) a couple of winters ago on a particularly sunny but cold day and it was stunning. Downsides were the climb up to the gap (of course) made worse by a cold northerly headwind and then the descent was pure ice. I don't think you'll have that problem but the rain this week will mean it's likely to be boggy in parts. Possibly on Bryniau Gleision especially (from memory).

We didn't have much finding a pub open afterwards either! Plan an apres-ride stop before you go.

Must ride The Gap again soon!
    Three bikes: a muddy one, a fast one and a nostalgic one.
  • Thanks. We're looking forward to it. I'll post how it goes.
  • Brilliant in the end!! A bit too much road and fire road for us really. Then trail blocked by forestry work!! Tried going around above and below but always came back to the fence!! Bit the bullet and rode up to the workers and asked if we could pass......"no problem" stopped the machines and let us through. Once off the fire road the fun started, the long drag to the Gap was actually really enjoyable. Picking your route through the rocks, very windy at the top and then the rocky, wet and fast decent back to Brecon!! Wow, my cheeks hurt from the smiling, brakes near melting point but superb. Finished off with fish & chips in Brecon.
  • Cheers for the report. Sounds like a successful trip! Ah yes, I forgot the effect that descent has on the brakes.

I'll get the diary out tomorrow and try to get up there before it freezes.
    Three bikes: a muddy one, a fast one and a nostalgic one.