Specialized Rockhopper SL 2011

bigmitch41
bigmitch41 Posts: 685
edited November 2013 in Your mountain bikes
I bought my Rockopper in 2012 from a friend who had bought the bike new and done very little on it, it really was in new condition. The Rockshox Dart3 fork's had become nearly solid so Instead of having them rebuilt I went for a new set of Reba RLT's and these really transformed the handling giving me the confidence to take my riding to a new level, I gave the ManxE2E a go this year and made it to St Johns (30miles). It was my first push bike in about 25yrs and I still consider myself new to off-roading but I got into it to help with fitness and loose weight for my roadracing, its really helped!
Other upgrades I made mostly from researching this site are a set of High Roller tyres, Ergon Grips, a Madison Flux saddle and a 5000lm double cree night light.
Some photos from the last 12 months...
Snowmtb1.jpg
Snowmtb2.jpg
Beachmtb.jpg
E2Emtb1.jpg
IMAG1603.jpg
Paracyclist
@Bigmitch_racing
2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
2014 Whyte T129-S
2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
Big Mitch - YouTube

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Lockwired oil filler cap - track bike?
  • Its my road bike that I had to race this year while my race bike was out of action, a meeting that I desperately needed to compete in to obtain a signiture for my Mountain Course licence for the Manx Grand Prix this year.
    Its my much loved 1999 R6 and I really didnt want to race the old girl, but desperate times require desperate measures, I managed to qualify and finish the race (on road tyres) not in last place and picked up a signiture, phew!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Kowalski675
    Didn't the Manx become the Classic TT this year, or was it still a separate event? I rode a '99 R6 once - second most uncomfortable bike I ever rode, lol. Do you live on the Island?
  • No the Manx became two seperate events under one umbrella called the IOM Festival of Motorcycling, the Classic TT being one of those events and the Manx Grand Prix the other. Ive never had a problem with comfort on the R6 tbh.
    Yes I live in Ballaugh on the IOM, not far from the bridge.
    I see you like triples...
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Kowalski675
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    No the Manx became two seperate events under one umbrella called the IOM Festival of Motorcycling, the Classic TT being one of those events and the Manx Grand Prix the other.

Ah, I see. I thought the Classic TT was the name that had been give to the whole event. Spoke to Nick Jefferies a few days before he was setting off over there to race an RC30, but didn't see him mentioned on the TV coverage, so no idea how he did.
    Ive never had a problem with comfort on the R6 tbh.

Really? I thought it was second only to the Mk2 Mille as a torture rack, lol.
    Yes I live in Ballaugh on the IOM, not far from the bridge.

Nice. That you in your avatar?
    I see you like triples...

I have two. Love one, hate the other, lol.
  • Ah Nick's a bit of a Legend around the TT Course His Nephew is my Hero, it was an honour to share the same piece of track with Him.
    Yeh thats me in the Avatar, this was my first year in the MGP and didnt do too bad, cracked the ton and won a Replica making a bit of history so was megga chuffed!

http://www.manxgrandprix.org/News/2013/ ... P-campaign
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Kowalski675
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Ah Nick's a bit of a Legend around the TT Course His Nephew is my Hero, it was an honour to share the same piece of track with Him.
    Yeh thats me in the Avatar, this was my first year in the MGP and didnt do too bad, cracked the ton and won a Replica making a bit of history so was megga chuffed!

http://www.manxgrandprix.org/News/2013/ ... P-campaign

I met Dave a few times over the years before his unfortunate accident, I live close to Alan Jefferies showroom (Tony interviewed me for a job once, many years ago at their original premises). Nice guy and very fast. I seem to remember he had a rather bonkers V8 Toyota Hilux with high lift suspension and big wheels for a while years ago, that was cool and made very nice noises, lol. Used to meet his sister pretty regularly where I used to work years ago too.

100mph supertwins lap with one arm? Respect - v impressive. I'd love a go on Ryan Farquhar's supertwins ER6, great little bike. He was racing at Olivers Mount when i went there with my last gf and he blitzed the rest of the field in that class, he was flying on that little Kawasaki. I don't think I'd ever get back on a bike if I'd been through what you have. Back in the mid nineties when Wednesday nights at Squires used to be anarchy there was a one armed lad on a GSXR400 who was a fast rider and could do great wheelies. I can't do a decent wheelie with two arms, lol.