Best Turbo Training tyre for reasonable budget?

dubbs2009
dubbs2009 Posts: 310
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hey all - need to get a Turbo Training tyre - what is the consensus on the best one out there? Not looking to spend loads of £s.... Any thoughts? £20-£25 is the budget range...

Comments

• LegendLust wrote:
    £2 above budget but get some of these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/veloflex-master ... road-tyre/

Thanks - but these look like road tyres? I am after something for use on the TT (e.g. Turbo trainer)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

Thanks - but these look like road tyres? I am after something for use on the TT (e.g. Turbo trainer)

I suspect the assumption was that you meant 'Time Trial' - for which 'TT' is the normal abbreviation. If it is for a turbo, then just buy anything, or use an old worn spare if you have one.
  • Imposter wrote:
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

I suspect the assumption was that you meant 'Time Trial' - for which 'TT' is the normal abbreviation. If it is for a turbo, then just buy anything, or use an old worn spare if you have one.

Yeh I figured the last post was due to thinking I meant Time Trialing - Just interested in which turbo tyre peeps thinks works best - read some bad stuff about the Schwalbe one - Is the Vittoria one good?
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Vittoria one works fine for me.

Matt
  • Does it matter what tyres you use on a turbo? e.g. I have (or will have) a set of GP 4 Seasons on my bike, is there any issue just using them as is on the turbo, as it would save a LOT of hassle compared with having to switch tyres or wheels every time I wanted to go outside.
  • Does it matter what tyres you use on a turbo? e.g. I have (or will have) a set of GP 4 Seasons on my bike, is there any issue just using them as is on the turbo, as it would save a LOT of hassle compared with having to switch tyres or wheels every time I wanted to go outside.

Turbo trainers wear down road tyres very quickly - they also get very hot when training and have be known to explode! the specific turbo tyres are created to deal with this and last longer therefore. I am a bit skeptical personally but would rather have a cheap 2nd wheel, cassette and turbo tyre and then switch rather than wear out my road tyre and good rear wheel...
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    My road tyre wore out very quick and was noisy compared to a turbo tyre

Matt
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Trainers can wear out or deform ordinary tyres pretty quickly due to the pressure of the roller and the heat generated. I wouldn't want to waste an expensive GP4S in this way. You can pick up a Vitoria trainer tyre for around £17 in Decathlon or just use an old road tyre although ordinary tyres shed a lot of rubber too. If you have an old cassette, Decathlon also sell a rear wheel for around £35 which is ideal for the turbo. Swapping wheels is not that much hassle at all.
  • 3 years, 5 hours a week at least on turbo, still on same old road tyre on dedicated turbo wheel.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Exactly - not all turbos eat tyres. I think plenty of people are conditioned to buying a turbo tyre and spare wheel when there might be no need.
  • bobones wrote:
    Trainers can wear out or deform ordinary tyres pretty quickly due to the pressure of the roller and the heat generated. I wouldn't want to waste an expensive GP4S in this way. You can pick up a Vitoria trainer tyre for around £17 in Decathlon or just use an old road tyre although ordinary tyres shed a lot of rubber too. If you have an old cassette, Decathlon also sell a rear wheel for around £35 which is ideal for the turbo. Swapping wheels is not that much hassle at all.

Thanks for this - never heard of Decathlon before - will take a look! Any deep links to relevant products you are talking about?
  • bobones wrote:

Cheers. Got a link to that rear wheel?

I just have an aversion to faff when it comes to getting out on my bike. I really hate the process of getting ready, filling my water bottle etc, so I can well see having to swap a wheel over as an excuse in my mind to not do a workout!
  • bobones
    Here's the link for the wheel http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rear-700c-wh ... 05016.html
    Comes with skewers but not rim tape, but this will do http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rim-tape-700 ... 71730.html
    Can't find the Vitoria tyre on the site, but I saw they had plenty in the shop at £17 odds.
  • Thanks matey, something to think about to get ready for Christmas :)
  • I'd say the least faffy and cheapest way to do this is get yourself a second hand wheel/cassette (provided they are still serviceable) and whack an old tyre on, no need for a turbo specific one, if it wears out faster who cares ? It was an old tyre you were gonna throw out right ?
    In all my time on turbo's I've never had a tyre get so hot it would explode ! (Maybe I should try harder lol!) If you are concerned about this, just drop the pressure a little to compensate.
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I've been using the same spesh tyre all year on road and on turbo...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I'd say the least faffy and cheapest way to do this is get yourself a second hand wheel/cassette (provided they are still serviceable) and whack an old tyre on, no need for a turbo specific one, if it wears out faster who cares ? It was an old tyre you were gonna throw out right ?
    In all my time on turbo's I've never had a tyre get so hot it would explode ! (Maybe I should try harder lol!) If you are concerned about this, just drop the pressure a little to compensate.

Do turbos wear out wheels as well as tyres?

The reason I ask is that I have two wheelsets - my good set is RS80s which I use in the summer and my other set is stock/heavy Bontragers which I run in the winter.

So to avoid having to buy an extra wheel I could put the trainer tyre on the RS80s in the winter and and on the Bontragers in the summer - whichever is not currently set up for 'outside' use.
  • bobones
    I just have an aversion to faff when it comes to getting out on my bike. I really hate the process of getting ready, filling my water bottle etc, so I can well see having to swap a wheel over as an excuse in my mind to not do a workout!
    Well then, you need a turbo bike! I now have three road bikes: my good bike (Westbrooks CR1 like yours), a rain/winter bike (Trek 1.5 with SKS Longboards) and my old good bike (Felt F85) is now the turbo bike with said decathlon rear wheel.

Before the Scott, I just swapped out the rear wheel on the Felt and it wasn't too much hassle because it hangs up in my garage in an accessible position. Anywhay, there's still the phaff of unfolding the turbo, mounting the bike, pumping up the tyre to 100PSI, getting towels after forgetting about them, Garmin set up right with GPS off, laptop computer with Peripedal and sufferfest video cued up, bluetooth headphones linked etc., etc. I'd just give up if I were you!
  • bobones wrote:
    Here's the link for the wheel http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rear-700c-wh ... 05016.html
    Comes with skewers but not rim tape, but this will do http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rim-tape-700 ... 71730.html
    Can't find the Vitoria tyre on the site, but I saw they had plenty in the shop at £17 odds.

Thanks
  • bobones
    Do turbos wear out wheels as well as tyres?

The reason I ask is that I have two wheelsets - my good set is RS80s which I use in the summer and my other set is stock/heavy Bontragers which I run in the winter.

So to avoid having to buy an extra wheel I could put the trainer tyre on the RS80s in the winter and and on the Bontragers in the summer - whichever is not currently set up for 'outside' use.
    That would probably work, although I'll warn you I did knacker the free hub on an old wheel while using it on the turbo. Might just have been on its way out anyway.
  • like bobones said, sounds like a plan and no, I can't see that a turbo would wear out a wheel faster than road riding, quite the opposite in fact, no pot holes on a turbo ;)

as mentioned by someone else, having a dedicated turbo bike is the ultimate in convinience, I use my Trek winter bike, all set up ready to go
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    like bobones said, sounds like a plan and no, I can't see that a turbo would wear out a wheel faster than road riding, quite the opposite in fact, no pot holes on a turbo ;)

as mentioned by someone else, having a dedicated turbo bike is the ultimate in convinience, I use my Trek winter bike, all set up ready to go
    ^^This, I have a bike just for turbo use set up year round.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

Sorry I thought you meant 'TT - time trialling' , however nothing stopping you using the Veloflex on your turbo! Just don't expect it to last long!
  • LegendLust wrote:
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

Sorry I thought you meant 'TT - time trialling' , however nothing stopping you using the Veloflex on your turbo! Just don't expect it to last long!

No worries :) Thanks for the tyre tip anyway :)