Are there rules against commuting on a Dogma?

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited November 2013 in The cake stop
For reasons I can't quite fathom (but almost certainly involve my cycling children) my fleet of bikes is very much depleted, so I have been forced into fitting lights to my Dogma and commuting on it. Have I broken any rules? Will I burn in Hell? :)

602846_603735266351134_1236684412_n.jpg

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    proto wrote:
    Will I burn in Hell? :)

Yes
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • I like how you have done your light bracket mount. Is that home-made?

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Better than using your best bike.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Get the sponge out...
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    You need some mud guards
  • proto
    Bill Gates wrote:
    I like how you have done your light bracket mount. Is that home-made?

Yep, it's a stainless stay off a pannier rack. Bit of precision bending and it works a treat. Smart light bolted to the top. It's a bit long, and if I can be arsed I'll make something a bit tidier.
  • proto
    Pross wrote:

:lol::lol:
  • proto wrote:
    Pross wrote:

:lol::lol:

+ :lol::lol:
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Don't forget a good lock to protect your investment while at work:

http://www.wilko.com/bike-accessories/w ... vt/0122537
  • Dorky hi viz helmet, saddle bag, mudguard .... commute away!

%C2%A3%C2%A3%C2%A3+Bradley+Wiggins
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    proto wrote:
    Have I broken any rules?

I think there are no rules against commuting on a Dogma, just the rule that if you do commute on a Dogma, you better be faster than everyone else as you've just become a huge potential scalp for everyone else!
  • RideOnTime
    Dorky hi viz helmet, saddle bag, mudguard .... commute away!

%C2%A3%C2%A3%C2%A3+Bradley+Wiggins

What's going on here?
  • proto
    He's not a proper commuter, no lights! And he's got a mudguard on the back, what a wuss!
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    You have more money than sense. Salt already on the road and your using your good bike..get a effin winter frame, if you can afford a dogma then you can spend a few hundred on a audax/winter frame. There seems to be more and more "gringos" each year riding £4k bikes in nov - march. you obviously dont ride in a group cos they would soon tell you were to go without mudguards.
  • proto
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    You have more money than sense. Salt already on the road and your using your good bike..get a effin winter frame, if you can afford a dogma then you can spend a few hundred on a audax/winter frame. There seems to be more and more "gringos" each year riding £4k bikes in nov - march. you obviously dont ride in a group cos they would soon tell you were to go without mudguards.

It's just a bike ffs, what do you think will happen to it, dissolve in the rain? Wheels might take a bt of a hammering on braking surfaces, so cheaper wheels are sensible, but other than that I really don't get this 'winter bike' thing.

Er .............I do 60+ miles every Saturday morning in a group, 18 of us last week, decent pace too. I think two of the bikes being used last week had mudguards. Nobody seems too fussed. Belgian toothpaste.

Daughter has nicked my 2nd bike (Cinelli Experience) as she doesn't want to lose her best bike from uni campus!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Shhhhh! Don't tell the roadies their bikes are for riding!

:P

(you ve lost me with Belgian Toothpaste though)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RideOnTime
    proto wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

It's just a bike ffs, what do you think will happen to it, dissolve in the rain? Wheels might take a bt of a hammering on braking surfaces, so cheaper wheels are sensible, but other than that I really don't get this 'winter bike' thing.

Er .............I do 60+ miles every Saturday morning in a group, 18 of us last week, decent pace too. I think two of the bikes being used last week had mudguards. Nobody seems too fussed. Belgian toothpaste.

Daughter has nicked my 2nd bike (Cinelli Experience) as she doesn't want to lose her best bike from uni campus!

Oh yes, good ole Belgian Toothpaste...
    What the ~uck does he mean?
  • Pross
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

This gets said so much on here and yet I've ridden on club runs for over 20 years and very few people use mudguards. Nothing ever gets said. Not sure how salt is going to affect a carbon frame either, I'd say as long as he stays upright that's the least of his worries - it's the components that will get wrecked.
  • proto
    An extreme example of 'Belgian Toothpaste':

010111ispa_0231_60011.jpg

Here's another:

lemond_1985_pr.jpg
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pross wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

This gets said so much on here and yet I've ridden on club runs for over 20 years and very few people use mudguards. Nothing ever gets said. Not sure how salt is going to affect a carbon frame either, I'd say as long as he stays upright that's the least of his worries - it's the components that will get wrecked.

How peculiar. Everyone in my club runs mudguards in winter - whether on specific winter bikes or added to their bikes when the weather starts getting soggy. It maybe a quaint Yorkshire thing that we prefer not to get sprayed in the face all day long on wet runs by the bike in front.

You should try it - makes for a much nicer experience :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pross
    Now did I say I don't have mudguards on my bike? :wink: To be honest I find others using them has little benefit to me, I still get covered in spray (even with mud flaps).