Pedal & Mudguards choice...

sopworth
sopworth Posts: 191
edited November 2013 in Cyclocross
Hi guys
Right, i've taken a gamble and bought a CX bike via eBay. As well as using it as my winter hack, i'm totally going to enter some races and keep the old legs ticking over for next season on the road.
A couple of questions for you seasonal CX'ers....
Pedals - which ones do you use for CX races? I am tempted to by some Shimano M520 as they are cheap and dual entry, but are they going to be any good for constant mounting/dismounting in the mud? Are there any pedals that cope with the rigours of CX?
Mudguards - does anyone have any experience with mudguards that are not a real fiddle to take on and off, so I can use the bike as a commuter, trainer and CX bike without taking an age taking them on and off? The bike is a Felt F65X and has rear mounts but not front mounts. If I get some Crud Roadracers, are these easily taken on and off?
Thank you in advance.
S

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Any MTB pedal will be fine, but the likes of Time and Eggbeaters cope with mud better
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Just got a CX bike, after having a MTB for (mostly) commuting. I looked at Road racers, as the wife has them fitted to her road bike, but they are designed for quite narrow tyres. I went for Race Blade XLs on mine. I am running 700*28 Marathons.

For pedals I use M530, as I ran the 424s on my MTB, and the 530s look a bit more substantial. These are pretty cheap and should shed mud well.

BTW, I am looking at CX racing later in the season, as I've done a little MTB trail racing previously.
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    Thanks for the responses. I think I'll opt for some of the Shimano pedals as they seem like a cheap option to try out.
    Need to act quick as I'm going to enter my first race on Sunday. Best I spend a few hours on Saturday learning how to dismount and other drills or it could be disastrous.
    S
  • Good luck. Hope it all goes well.
  • Team515
    Team515 Posts: 141
    I use eggbeater 2 pedals on mine, Find them better in the mud than shimano 520