Are rack mounted child seat as comfortable as frame fix?

ClwydPete
ClwydPete Posts: 14
edited November 2013 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a child seat for my bike to suit my 3 year old and 9 month old... or more realistically 3.5 and 1 year old, 'cos I don't anticipate many trips before March. Because my 1 and only bike is a cross bike with the bars set low front seat not an option.

So I want to fit a rear seat, and fit it to a rack that would take large panniers to for commuting duties. Has anyone had any experience of both rack and frame fit? Frame fit seats look more comfortable as they aren't mounted to a strut straight onto the rear axle, but does anyone know?

On another point do frame fit brackets damage frame tubes or even just the paint?

Thanks,

Pete

Comments

• get a frame fit one. In my shop we sell those from GMG Yepp, Romer, Hamax and others.
    apart from being more comfortable they are able to distribute the load better on your frame and often
    have better options in terms of canting the kid backwards for sleeping mode.

this ll work for kids up to 25 kilo.
    after that it gets a little bit more difficult and probably something like a Kona Ute with GMG junior is the way to go!
  • Thanks for that, I'll probably get a Hamax.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    We had a Hamax which came with a Blackburn rack. Top quality kit and the recline feature was excellent for small people wanting a snooze during the ride :)
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    ClwydPete wrote:
    Hi,

I'm looking to buy a child seat for my bike to suit my 3 year old and 9 month old... or more realistically 3.5 and 1 year old, 'cos I don't anticipate many trips before March. Because my 1 and only bike is a cross bike with the bars set low front seat not an option.

So I want to fit a rear seat.
    Two kids? - get a trailer. I had a seat for my first child but got a 2 seat trailer as soon as the second one needed transporting about. The trailer is so good in comparison I wish i had never bought a seat to start with.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Thanks for all the advice, I am trying to find someone around to lend me a bike with a seat to see if the kids enjoy it. I'd love to take them both out in a trailer but their width and affect on manoeuvrability would make nervous on the narrow back roads I'll ride.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    ClwydPete wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice, I am trying to find someone around to lend me a bike with a seat to see if the kids enjoy it. I'd love to take them both out in a trailer but their width and affect on maneuverability would make nervous on the narrow back roads I'll ride.
    Width can be a problem depending on your local routes. As for stability/maneuverability - you get a far more planted safe experience with trailer because the attachment point is so low down.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • You can get some rack mounted seats that won't compromise on comfort/safety. The Hamax rack version still has suspension to avoid spine compression over bumps :)