My latest little DIY project..

2»

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Can't see that doing much, lol, it's tiny.
  • I did say like.... Not exactly the same.. haha... It will be something that will attach directly to the fork brace and reach back to stop mud being thrown up onto my glasses.. I have had this problem so I want to just ease that problem... Hell I know I am going to get wet and muddy even with mudguards but hitting my glasses makes riding a pain in the ass... lol
  • Kowalski675
    Would be much easier to buy a Mucky Nutz Bender Fender. :wink:
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340

Hey you are meant to be promoting our cod piece/folder fender. Some business partner you are :lol:
  • Would be much easier to buy a Mucky Nutz Bender Fender. :wink:

I had a look at the material they are made from. Two problems one is it is too flexible the other is the material releases from anything I use will self release from the part so keeping it in the correct shape and it staying put on the backing I need would be really hard to do...
    Plus why go down the easy route too....lol..
    I would rather make my own part in carbon and I need the practice making forms and moulds. Most of what I do would take weeks to do for me to get the first part made. But smaller items use the same skills but are quicker to do and I want to improve my skills as making parts are easy for me to do but making patterns and moulds is an art...lol

My usual stuff takes to long and costs too much for me to try and make forms and moulds to then make a mistake..

9mco.jpg
    xvmr.jpg
  • Kowalski675
    @lexD wrote:

Hey you are meant to be promoting our cod piece/folder fender. Some business partner you are :lol:

Oh bugger. Missed an opportunity there. Yes, that's what he wants. Dual purpose - keeps the mud off your face and the girls gagging to get into your pants. "Hey pretty lady..." etc. Have we set an RRP yet?
  • Kowalski675
    morepower wrote:

I had a look at the material they are made from. Two problems one is it is too flexible the other is the material releases from anything I use will self release from the part so keeping it in the correct shape and it staying put on the backing I need would be really hard to do...

I meant just buy it and use it, lol.
  • I enjoy making rather than just buying... lol..
  • Kowalski675
    morepower wrote:
    I enjoy making rather than just buying... lol..

I understand that, but when there's a product that's cheap, effective and weighs nothing available off the shelf, why not buy that and spend your time and effort making something that you can't buy, or that you can improve upon?
  • morepower wrote:
    I enjoy making rather than just buying... lol..

I understand that, but when there's a product that's cheap, effective and weighs nothing available off the shelf, why not buy that and spend your time and effort making something that you can't buy, or that you can improve upon?

As I said.. I need/want to spend time improving my pattern making skills and mould making. My usual stuff is way too big and complex. I have had to learn how to make carbon parts over the past 18 months or so and less than a year making pre-preg parts. I have not had to do any real mould making so far so I could learn how to make parts. It has taken until now to be totally happy with my work. So now I need to learn how to design parts and make the moulds..

So why not make parts for my own use?? lol..
  • Kowalski675
    How about downtube bashguards? Or something like these?:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/race ... -prod40502
  • How about downtube bashguards? Or something like these?:

The crank ones need to be rubber to pull over the crank..

Bash guards need to suit each bike as they can have different sizes and diameters ect... lol.. There seems to be very little that is universal apart from Crud catchers... It costs too much to make them for sale as the cure time is 14 hours in an oven... But one off stuff for me is not about selling the stuff.. I could supply un-cured pre-preg and heat shrink tape to do wraps for any tube as a protector, but if someone does it wrong it would be me that gets the blame..lol..

0uxx.png
  • Kowalski675
    morepower wrote:
    How about downtube bashguards? Or something like these?:

The crank ones need to be rubber to pull over the crank..

They're not rubber. They're injection moulded hard plastic. They just slot over the crank arm, and are held in place by the pedal axle. Rubber ones would tear in no time, if you whacked 'em on rocks (and they're kind of pointless if you don't, lol).
  • Oh OK.... I will have a look..... lol...
  • Kowalski675
    I think they're a great idea (I'm a crap rider), but unfortunately they won't fit my cranks. I reckon if someone made similar ones to fit most common crank arms they'd sell loads.
  • I think the only way to make those crank protectors work is to do them on the bike with a pre-preg wrap which can be done by anyone but is not a 10 minute fit and forget type job. It would require some skill and time as well as a fan heater on each part for about 9 hours... lol..
  • Until I get to make a short mudguard for the fork I cobbled together this. Again just some scraps I had from a Bimota project I cut up and used... A makeshift Crud catcher ready for this weeks ride...
    6yyk.jpg