Giant TCR SL1?

How Far is too Far
How Far is too Far Posts: 534
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I am after a 2 second road bike to use when the weather is wet and horrible, I want to keep my good bike in good condition. I already have a winter bike but want something in-between the two for longer rides and in the summer months when it is wet.

Been looking at this Giant and think it looks good value,

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/108684/pr ... -bike.aspx

Anyone got any opinions or better deals?

I normally ride a 56cm SuperSix, I think a Medium/Large would be ok?

Thanks Rich...

Comments

• Asking the same question in this post.

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12947562

Thought about this, but the frame is hard to get on it's own..
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    I am after a 2 second road bike to use when the weather is wet and horrible, I want to keep my good bike in good condition. I already have a winter bike but want something in-between the two for longer rides and in the summer months when it is wet.

Been looking at this Giant and think it looks good value,

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/108684/pr ... -bike.aspx

Anyone got any opinions or better deals?

I normally ride a 56cm SuperSix, I think a Medium/Large would be ok?

Thanks Rich...

I am 5'9" and usually ride a 54 and the medium Giant is perfect for me. Assume if you ride 56 then a M/L would be good
  • I do it the other way around - Giant for summer and a Cannondale for winter. I'm 5'10" and have a 54 Cannondale and a medium Giant but I like a lower front end than some and add a 120mm stem to get the reach. Usual advice, you've got to try it yourself.

How about a Giant Defy instead so you get the mudguard eyes? You also get the higher front end which may not suit but if that's OK then it could be a better bet. Or stick with Cannondale and get a CAAD8 or 10 - some good deals around and you'll get the same fit/peace of mind more easily.
  • Thanks,

The sizing on Giants does seem a bit strange to me, I am 5'11" so should be ok on a M/L, sat on one today though and it felt smaller than a 56cm c/dale.

I would have a CAAD 10 but the Giants seem to offer much better value, you can get a full Ultegra for the price of 105 and maybe a change is good?

Rich...
  • smithers
    smithers Posts: 319
    It is good value, they bought all the remaining stock except for the smallest and largest sizes. I got one as soon as they got them in, have done about 500 miles and am delighted with it. I am 6 ft 1 and went for large, I find it much more comfortable than the 2005 tcr2 it replaced. It's pretty light too, 7.9kg without pedals.

It will be my summer bike and for early season TTs, winter is steel Dawes or fixed. Hope this helps.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge will overcome!