Right, talk to me about winter gloves.

UndercoverElephant
UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited December 2013 in Commuting chat
It was one degree this morning when I set off, there was frost on the road and a few frozen puddles, and this got me to thinking - perhaps fingerless gloves aren't de rigueur this season. Sadly, my full-finger gloves were eaten by a puppy, meaning that I'm in the market for some new ones.

I liked my previous ones, Gore Power SO, they were very warm but fell apart rather too quickly for my liking. I have some lobster gloves for the very coldest days so I'm after medium-warm (down to about -5?), windproof, water-resistant, breathable gloves.

So, anyone had any glove revelations recently? Anything that really stands out?

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Assos Fugu are the best I have used.
    Gloves and temperature is a very personal thing though.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Is it possible that the same Gore ones will last longer now that the puppy is a dog, and presumably better behaved?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Perhaps some homemade puppy skin gloves ... they could be the dog's b0ll0cks?

Assos Fugu ... £80 ... gulp!
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Surgical gloves (thin rubber ones) and then Gore full finger gloves.

It sounds silly, until I say the word "layers".

I do this it works and is more comfortable than proper thick cycling winter gloves.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Is it possible that the same Gore ones will last longer now that the puppy is a dog, and presumably better behaved?

We have perpetual puppies in our house, we help train guide dogs.
    ToeKnee wrote:

I have indeed considered this...
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Surgical gloves (thin rubber ones) and then Gore full finger gloves.

It sounds silly, until I say the word "layers".

I do this it works and is more comfortable than proper thick cycling winter gloves.
    Sounds a bit on the non-breathable side to me, that's the main problem I have with my Sealskinz ones. Do you not find that your hands are mush by the time you get to work?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Nah they're hands, just run them under cold/water depending on how they feel and then moisturise.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • daviesee
    ToeKnee wrote:

I got mine at £55 sale price.
    But then I suffer from cold hands and as far as I am concerned, you cant put a price on not suffering.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I use Prendas' long fingered super roubaix gloves over mitts which do me fine down to low single figures then when it gets really cold I use their "air tunnel" gloves (with the roubaix as a liner).

The two pairs will set you back a bit under £50 but you'll be prepared for all eventualities.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    In Denmark last winter I caved in and bought the Giro lobster set - came with a good liner and then the lobster claw on top. Stood up well in those -6 before windchill days - even if the rest of me didn't... I suspect they've got a similar/new model out this winter. May be a bit much, although I reckon Scottish and Danish winters end up pretty similar in terms of weather. I believe there was also a glove version as well (liner plus outer)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Not sure I can wear gloves on the roadie, the extra size of the gloves make it more difficult and thus more painful, if you fell off in the snow in April!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Got the PX ones (4.99 or something) for now.

Campag thermo steam for arctic but dry (try CRC)

Not sure about wet AND cold yet.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Pro Bikegear Expert WP Winter Gloves are the only pair that I've truly been happy with, and have got through a fair number of sets in the search for them (inc. two pairs of SealSkinz...never got on with them).

At the moment I'm using DeFeet DuraGloves on their own, they'll do me in London until the temperature drops a few more degrees...I am missing the padding from my mitts a little bit though!

Those Air Tunnels from Prendas look decent.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • I wear the Icebreaker merino fleece gloves under a pair of regular winter gloves or soft shells. They're thicker than the 'silk' style light weight liners but still aren't too bulky so useful for being able to take the top layer off but still not freeze your fingers off.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Im not sure about the lobster claws. Are you able to fully operate on a road bike with effectively 2 fingers?

Doesnt sound very safe to me..
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • No problems with Lobster claws for me. Always used them in deep winter and they have the advantage of making V signs to other road users a lot more prominent.

Just managed to pick a pair of Craft lobsters from my local TKmax for 12.99.
  • daviesee
    goonz wrote:
    Im not sure about the lobster claws. Are you able to fully operate on a road bike with effectively 2 fingers?

Doesnt sound very safe to me..
    That is exactly how I operate my levers.
    Too on the brakes, too on the gears.
  • Fugu gloves are about the only bit of Assos kit I've felt aren't up to snuff. Not so much the cold part but their lack of water resistance on the palm side fabric - mostly at the finger tips. I've just bought another pair of 851 Early Winters as my 4 year old pair are getting a bit threadbare - they don't owe me a penny though.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daviesee
    Fugu gloves are about the only bit of Assos kit I've felt aren't up to snuff. Not so much the cold part but their lack of water resistance on the palm side fabric - mostly at the finger tips. I've just bought another pair of 851 Early Winters as my 4 year old pair are getting a bit threadbare - they don't owe me a penny though.
    Knew youd come in to correct me? :wink:
    Must remember the 851's when the time comes.

Edit :- How do the 851's compare to the Fugu's for temperature?
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Hello - re. the lobster claw - I agree, I was a little dubious too, but it was so damn cold last year I thought sod it, I'll figure it out. To be honest, not much trouble at all; as others have said, the split in fingers is broadly how you'd hold the hoods any way. Braking absolutely the same, I found I had to think a little about up shifts as I normally cover the brake with my index whilst shifting with my index finger. There wasn't quite enough room to do that comfortably, it'd go, but felt a bit of a stretch within the claw, so I found I'd move my whole hand a smidge to be able to shift with my index finger. That description makes it sound a whole load more complicated than it really was. In short - they're fine - no real difference compared to other bulky winter gloves, but warmer.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • +1 Lobsters. I have Pearl Izumi soft-shell ones. Reckon they're good to -5 or so.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • It was -3 today, which at least made my lobsters wearable. Like others have said, they're fine on a road bike. Fiddly to change gear with the little-lever, but braking works just fine.

Have placed an order for the latest Specialized Radiant glove for the not-quite-so-cold-as-today days, new feature of the touchscreen finger swung it for me.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Have placed an order for the latest Specialized Radiant glove for the not-quite-so-cold-as-today days, new feature of the touchscreen finger swung it for me
    I've got some specialized MTB gloves with the touchscreen thing and it really works. Better than a bare finger!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    Have placed an order for the latest Specialized Radiant glove for the not-quite-so-cold-as-today days, new feature of the touchscreen finger swung it for me
    I've got some specialized MTB gloves with the touchscreen thing and it really works. Better than a bare finger!

Great stuff. I think it's a great idea for winter especially, as there are times when I get a mechanical and have to let the Mrs know I'll be late. Having to take off your gloves to do so in foul weather is a real pain.
  • Anonymous
    The 5 quid p-x ones work with iPhone fine
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I carry a packet of cocktail sausages; they make a handy iPhone stylus and are a tasty snack. Two birds, one stone.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • daviesee wrote:
    Fugu gloves are about the only bit of Assos kit I've felt aren't up to snuff. Not so much the cold part but their lack of water resistance on the palm side fabric - mostly at the finger tips. I've just bought another pair of 851 Early Winters as my 4 year old pair are getting a bit threadbare - they don't owe me a penny though.
    Knew youd come in to correct me? :wink:
    Must remember the 851's when the time comes.

Edit :- How do the 851's compare to the Fugu's for temperature?

LMAO - not on purpose. I even fed back to Assos that I was relatively disappointed with the Fugus. They are, however, a million times better than the SealSkinz I started out with.

There's not as much difference between Fugus and 851s as you'd expect - Fugus are probably 2 or 3 degrees warmer (if that makes sense). 851s with Lobsters are a better bet
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    coriordan wrote:
    The 5 quid p-x ones work with iPhone fine

Are they warm/waterproof enough to deal with a half-hour commute? 'cos I'm sold on them if they are.
  • Anonymous
    Yes. Unless its absolutely freezing and p1ssing it down.
  • Some feedback on the Specialized Radiant gloves.

They are superb. Really warm, waterproof, very comfortable (unpadded though) and very breathable. I've used them for temperatures between 10 degrees and -4, and so far no sweaty hands, nor frozen fingers.

The iPhone finger works well too, no problems at all, except that you need a slightly shallower angle on the screen than I would usually use.

The unexpected extra boon is the "Micro-wipe" area on the anatomical snuffbox. During heavy rain the other night, my glasses were covered in beads of water, went to wipe them expecting them to be smeared worse than ever (as with all other gloves), but no, with these gloves there was a squeaking noise and the glasses were pristine. No water left at all. Happened again and again - just superb.

Very happy with them so far.