Wannabe an engineer? Test yourself here

13»

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    OK, since no-one's actually bothered to explain it:

When the bus brakes, the contents try to keep going (conservation of momentum), and relative to the bus the overall centre of mass of the contents will move forward if possible.

Example 1: A ball on the floor of the bus will move forward, displacing air (which is less dense), and causing the air to move very slightly backwards.

Example 2 (with helium balloon). Now the densest part of the system is the air (denser than the balloon), so the air will move forward relative to the bus, displacing the less dense balloon which moves backwards to take up the space vacated by the air.

Simples
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    WTF
    4 pages and not one of your has suggested turning it off / on you all FAIL

Professional engineer since 1988 ...............

Again FAIL all of you :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    itboffin wrote:
    WTF

You have just confused IT "experts" with engineers.
    Epic fail.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Just because they were shown red and green hats doesn't mean red and/or green hats were put on their heads.
  • moarspeed
    moarspeed Posts: 119
    WTF has solving riddles got to do with engineering? This is the same carp they used to pull on maths GCSEs.....
    As an engineer myself (electronics), the one thing I cannot tolerate is unnecessary bull excrement.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    MOARspeed wrote:
    WTF has thinking got to do with engineering?
    FTFY
  • MOARspeed wrote:
    WTF has solving riddles got to do with engineering? This is the same carp they used to pull on maths GCSEs.....
    As an engineer myself (electronics), the one thing I cannot tolerate is unnecessary bull excrement.

Solving riddles, not much. Solving problems in a logical manner with the use of maths on the other hand is essentially what engineers do.

If you can't take your existing knowledge and apply it to a new situation then you might be able to follow a design code, but the ability to understand a new problem not in any handbook or code won't be there.
  • MOARspeed wrote:

Solving riddles, not much. Solving problems in a logical manner with the use of maths on the other hand is essentially what engineers do.

If you can't take your existing knowledge and apply it to a new situation then you might be able to follow a design code, but the ability to understand a new problem not in any handbook or code won't be there.

What i'm saying, is why go to great lengths to disguise the problem using confusing wording and riddles? Just give me the f**king facts, the variables and i'll give you the answer.......

I don't have time to sit around on my ar5e all day trying to pick out variables from a partially incoherent piece of text.

"Mary had a little lamb, it's fleece was white as snow..... What is the surface area of the dogs nose?" :x
  • MOARspeed wrote:
    MOARspeed wrote:

What i'm saying, is why go to great lengths to disguise the problem using confusing wording and riddles? Just give me the f**king facts, the variables and i'll give you the answer.......

I don't have time to sit around on my ar5e all day trying to pick out variables from a partially incoherent piece of text.

"Mary had a little lamb, it's fleece was white as snow..... What is the surface area of the dogs nose?" :x

That's part of the test. It filters those who need to be spoon fed from those who don't.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    daviesee wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    WTF

Epic fail.

Degree in electronic engineering not computers :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    My advice ...

1. turn it off/on

2. google it, decide its too much effort

3. hire someone to fix it

these rules do NOT apply to bike fettling, ALL bike fettling SHOULD be handled in person by bloody minded trial and error, cuts bruises and blood.
  • daviesee
    itboffin wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    WTF

Epic fail.

Degree in electronic engineering not computers :wink:
    As I said... :wink:
  • itboffin
    B*TARD :evil:
  • daviesee
    itboffin wrote:
    B*TARD :evil:
    :lol: 8) :wink: :P
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    A bit worrying, I got 40% but I already have a 1st class Electronic Engineering degree!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • MOARspeed wrote:
    MOARspeed wrote:

Which question used confusing words or riddles?

The only one that gave you any info you didn't need was the mass of air in a room, and that is an essential skill - to be able to pick out which bits of a problem can be safely ignored or simplified (for example assuming pin jointed structures is pretty common, wrong but good enough for most purposes).

The only wordy one was the hat one, but it wasn't confusing and gave you the facts pretty clearly.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    That's part of the test. It filters those who need to be spoon fed from those who don't.
    It really pains me to agree with a triantelope, it really does. But you're spot on, and this thread demonstrates it perfectly...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • daviesee

Using the words dice and average was really confusing.

Apparently.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,360
    daviesee wrote:

Using words was really confusing.

Apparently.

FTFY, at least that works for my attempt.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,757
    Surely the point of putting a bit of superfluous information into the questions is to test your ability to filter it out.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,663
    MOARspeed wrote:

This is depressing. Am I reading a summary of the problems with the UK's education system? Alternatively, does your attitude merely suggest that you work in an IT support role?