Setting up a dynamo

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited November 2013 in Tour & expedition
My dynamo hub has now been built into a lovely new wheel so all I need to do is mount the light and wire it all up.

Before I embark on this task I thought I'd check that it really is as simple as plugging the wire into the terminal on the end of the hub and that's it? Or do I need to waterproof it with vaseline or something??

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Apart from ensuring you wire the lights up the right way around then that's about it. Busch & Muller lights definitely don't like being wired back to front the stand light and Senso functions go west. A smear of silcon grease isn't going to harm
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • rodgers73
    Is there a risk i might damage the light if I wire it the wrong way round initially?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    What light and hub do you have? The vast majority of them don't really care (even the latest B&M lights don't seem to - though I don't use Senso modes).
  • rodgers73
    Shimano DH-3N80 hub and B&M Lumotec IQ Cyo
  • assuming its a dc hub, it shouldn't matter how its wired up from hub to front light but if you got a rear light, then try assure it's wired with matching colour to colour.

I use the Supernova Infinity 8 with E3Pro light and because its a fixed connection supplied I split the cables and used waterproof connectors so that I can remove the lights from the bike. They would be useless to thieves but then thieves aren't known for their intelligence and would probably just rip them out.

On the connection to the hub, I occasionally spray a little WD40 on the connectors bracket just to keep them waterproof.