Cross ride from Richmond through Surrey

veronese68
veronese68 Posts: 27,252
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
Thought this might be of interest to a few on here:
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40114&t=12945592&p=18583872#p18583872
CJCP, TGOTB, Asprilla and presumably a few more.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Might be.

Caad CX9 has just gone on eBay so it depends if I can get the Cotic built up. And get a pass, of course.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Up for this in theory. Can't do 2nd because I have a CX race. 9th I'm supposed to be TTing, but if weather is not TT-friendly (highly likely in November) I'd be up for it.

60/40 tarmac/offroad: Wonder how you pick an appropriate tyre pressure...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    Or which tyres? Knobblier tyres running a fairly high pressure, or less knobbly with lower pressure?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Or which tyres? Knobblier tyres running a fairly high pressure, or less knobbly with lower pressure?

This is why I am in need of a N+1 wheelset.

(I should of sold the Focus with only one wheelset and not two)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • asprilla
    Veronese68 wrote:

That was going to be my next question. 32mm tyres, but nobbles or not?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • tgotb
    Asprilla wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

What about something like Small Block 8s?

I thought tyre choice for races was tricky; maybe the solution is a reconnaissance ride :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • asprilla
    TGOTB wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

What about something like Small Block 8s?

I thought tyre choice for races was tricky; maybe the solution is a reconnaissance ride :-)

Are the SB8s good on road? I have a pair knocking about but I've never used them. I'm including my Grifo XS Opens in the 'dale sale.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • tgotb
    Asprilla wrote:
    Are the SB8s good on road? I have a pair knocking about but I've never used them. I'm including my Grifo XS Opens in the 'dale sale.
    I don't know. I also have a pair knocking around (came with a second hand bike) that I've never used!

Vittoria XG Pro seem to be pretty good all purpose race tyres at 25psi, and are quick enough for SCR at 60psi; perhaps I need to get on and design my patented tyre-pressure-adjuster which uses controls on the bars to adjust tyre pressure on the go(somehow) from a lightweight (yeah, right!) gas canister in the hub.

Got some new Clement PDXs to try out this weekend (if I can build the wheels in time!)

Edit: My 7-year-old goes pretty well on SB8s at ~10psi. Unfortunately they're the only CX tyres I can find for her size bike, so nothing to compare them with...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    I'M running Vittoria Randonneur Cross Pros in 32mm at the moment. They are fine on gravel paths like Richmond Park and Bushy Park, good on road for a tyre of that size with deep tread, but no good on mud. I've got some Conti Speedkings in 35mm that are better on mud, but not so good on road.
    I think the Speedkings with a higher pressure might be the better compromise for this. When I rode the L2B off road a few weeks ago it was quite muddy in the North Downs.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm going to try for a pass, but I also need to get some new tyres. Have been running Mud2s 30mms.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I have tried the loop yesterday

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/315317771

There is mud in places, but there is not much deep mud, although that might change if the storm brings in more heavy rain. Any tyre will have advantages and disadvantages... it's not a race, if in doubt stick the knobblies on. I'll ride Vittoria XN, which are adequate
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    Right, I'm all set. I stuck the knobblies on last night, not enough clearance for the guards though so they've had to come off. Hard work on the road with 50psi in them, so I might go for higher pressure to help with the road sections. My neighbour might tag along to. Bizarrely he has a bright green Kinesis Pro6, but in a child size.
    See you at Richmond Gate at 8:30.
  • asprilla
    I think I'm out.

Bleeding the brakes last night at about midnight and I realised that I couldn't find the lever bleed plug. I think it's on my garage floor somewhere. Have emailed upgrade bikes and TRP in a fit of panic.

Tonight I'm going to empty the garage onto the driveway and then go over the floor with a magnifying glass.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Right, I'm all set. I stuck the knobblies on last night, not enough clearance for the guards though so they've had to come off. Hard work on the road with 50psi in them, so I might go for higher pressure to help with the road sections. My neighbour might tag along to. Bizarrely he has a bright green Kinesis Pro6, but in a child size.

Indeed... I'm on Vittoria XN 60 PSI... look forward to it... I might bring a winch, in case someone gets stuck in the mud
  • Veronese68 wrote:

Indeed... I'm on Vittoria XN 60 PSI... look forward to it... I might bring a winch, in case someone gets stuck in the mud
  • Veronese68 wrote:

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm out. Trip to Borough Market with the family or working. Have a good one, guys.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    I'm out this week; can't find that bleed plug. Hopefully the be one will arrive tomorrow so maybe next week?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    That was fun, sorry you guys missed it. I hope to be able to get out next week but will have to renegotiate a pass.
    Bike needs a wash and I need a snooze. I feel quite knackered.
    IMG_0361.jpg
    This was the route we wound up taking today. http://www.strava.com/activities/92698685
  • Gosh, the altitude profile on Strava makes it look really epic, when in fact it was almost flat... I see why everyone is a hero on Strava... :wink:
  • veronese68
    Don't tell everyone. Mind you that muddy field felt like climbing a mountain.
  • Veronese68 wrote:

It did... I was on a 39 x 21... a gear which normally sees 6-8% climbs
  • asprilla
    Veronese68 wrote:

Oh no, they said, 48x18 singlespeed will be fine, they said.....

Gutted I didn't make today. Can't make next week either; daughter's birthday party. Pity, three hours of riding knee deep in mud would have been a doddle compare to entertaining 30 four year olds.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Oh no, they said, 48x18 singlespeed will be fine, they said.....

Gutted I didn't make today. Can't make next week either; daughter's birthday party. Pity, three hours of riding knee deep in mud would have been a doddle compare to entertaining 30 four year olds.

Completely self inflicted... how hard was to tell her she was born on the 25th of December?
    Anyway... can you not just lock them in the living room until they have worked off all the cup cakes and cookies?
  • asprilla
    I tried. Due date was Dec 24th, which I thought was a pretty good shot. Unfortunately she didn't agree and turned up a month early.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Asprilla wrote:
    I tried. Due date was Dec 24th, which I thought was a pretty good shot. Unfortunately she didn't agree and turned up a month early.

She didn't need to know that...
  • veronese68
    You've got a house full of impatient women by the sounds of it.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    ***sigh***

Every time I see that Pro 6 I want one a little bit more...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • veronese68
    ***sigh***

Every time I see that Pro 6 I want one a little bit more...
    :D It's a lot cleaner now.