Please un-confuse me on heart rates.

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited November 2013 in Training, fitness and health
If my maximum heart rate is 180, and I want to ride say between 50% and 60% of my max heart rate does that mean

1. 0.5 times 180 is 90, and 0.6 times 180 is 108 so between 90 and 108, or......
2. Taking into account my resting heart rate of 60, then 50% of (180-60) plus 60 is 120 and 60% of (180-60) plus 60 is 126 so between 120 and 126.

I have seen articles which use both the first numbers, and the second set which takes into account the working heart range. However, whenever I see charts which explain what happens I each zone I am never sure which method they are using.

Thanks.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If your MHR is 180, then 50% of your MHR is 90. 60% is 108.

All I would add is that 60% is well below any performance zones which might bring about any particular training adaptions. You usually need to be working at well over 70% for that to happen, depending on the type of ride you are doing.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Unless it says otherwise, I would assume they mean 1. - percentage of max HR.
  • Imposter wrote:
    If your MHR is 180, then 50% of your MHR is 90. 60% is 108.

All I would add is that 60% is well below any performance zones which might bring about any particular training adaptions. You usually need to be working at well over 70% for that to happen, depending on the type of ride you are doing.

Thanks. The zone I selected was hypothetical, just for the sake of making the calculations easy. I really hope you are correct! Otherwise I will have to ride much harder!
  • in the absence of any other info, the first option would be the correct option. the 2nd option is the Karvonen HR method:
    ((maximal HR - Rest HR) * percentage exercise intensity (e.g. 60%)) + Rest HR

However, if you become ill or fatigued it's likely your resting HR would increase and this would increase your training zones when you would probably want to reduce them

There are a multitude of other HR training zones
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    If my maximum heart rate is 180, and I want to ride say between 50% and 60% of my max heart rate does that mean

Thanks.

To confuse you more Coggan et al. use FTHR. That is your average heartrate over a 60 minute TT effort at FTP.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Pardon my ignorance but am I supposed to know wtf a Coggan is?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Pardon my ignorance but am I supposed to know wtf a Coggan is?

erm, yes, probably.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme