Which sealant...Super Juice or Stan's?

Iain C
Iain C Posts: 464
edited November 2013 in MTB general
Not ridden my Trek FS in years, and the all Bontrager tubeless setup is leaking like a sieve, no doubt the sealant has gone off. Bike is quite old (2007), wheels are tubeless ready race discs, rim tape is the rigid plastic Bonty job, and the tyres are tubeless Bonty Jones 2.3. Current sealant is Bonty Super Juice.

So...stick with the Super Juice or go to Stan's?

Thanks

Comments

• Stan's every time... Super Juice okay for setting up but nowhere near as effective as Stan's when you get a puncture.
  • Stan's

Close thread......
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    Not used super juice so can't comment, however put Stan's in my tyres 6 months ago, not had any issues since
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I used superjuice once as it was all the LBS had.

Trying to inflate TR Mud-Xs, it just leaked and leaked and leaked. I'd put the sealant in, pump up the tyre, come back an hour later to a flat tyre with no sealant in it and a puddle of sealant on the floor. I repeated until there was no sealant then put a tube it :roll:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    IME Super Juice helps get tyres up, but does nothing to plug holes, far too thin. Stan's, or Joe's or Caffe Latex are far better (not tried the latter, but gets good write-ups).
  • tobamory
    tobamory Posts: 101
    Stans
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    Stans works for me.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Stans. Clincher for me is that not all fluids play well together (mixing stans and jra wheelmilk didn't seem to go too well), so I want the one that's easiest to find in the shops. But since it works well, that's good too.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have tractor tyre sealent in mine at the moment and it's working great for 3 months so far.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Caffelatex. Better than both.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I tried Caffelatex, it seemed to be good for sealing up a new tyre but it didn't seem much use at fixing punctures.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've just remembered, the Stans stuff in my rear tyre did this a month after putting it in:
    IMG_20131018_215243.jpg
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Stans is good... but... give OKO offroad tyre sealant a go. Its normally used in farm machinery and other offroad tyre applications but it works really well, I find, as a sealant for MTB tyres.

Consistency wise its somewhere between Stans and Fenwicks, you can use C02 pumps to inflate, doesn't dry out or clump like stans, long lifespan, doesn't freeze in the cold and perhaps the best bit.... 1.25l costs £8