Baselayer pros and cons

Mickyg88
Mickyg88 Posts: 289
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Last year I bought a synthetic baselayer from Aldi, but can't get on with the fairly high neck, so looking to buy a new one with a zip neck.
I'm undecided as to which to get, merino wool or synthetic, any advice with the pros and cons would be appreciated, obviously at this time of year I'm looking for something warm.

Thanks

Comments

• What will you wear when it gets really cold?

I'd recommend prendas base layer, craft extreme range or most ranges of merino tops.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    Sorry Sloppy, didn't make myself clear, I meant for when it gets cold, just want to buy one now in readiness.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Under armour coldgear, long sleeve, crew neck. I've tried plenty of baselayers over the years and these are head and shoulders above most.
  • Good quality merino is very nice, on and off the bike, I love its odour resistance! But in the rain, they should be avoided at all costs. Icebreaker and Rapha have set the benchmark, but you can find decent, cheaper products.

Sportful's winter range is worth a look, found mine to be very good value for money.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,462
    I use the helly Henson merino ones. For me merino is essential in winter as they don't get cold when damp, which inevitably happens in damp British winter air.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago