Binge Drinking

2»

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Sodafarl wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    meagain wrote:
    Been there. Nearly 40 years worth. Ended up on 2 bottles of gin and/or brandy a day. Went down to where you do not want to go.

Dry now for exactly 10 years and 6 months today - I don't have to work it out, I always know. (If a recovering alcoholic tells you that they can't remember when they had their last drink then they are lying - either they've had one to which they do not wish to admit or they were simply a heavy drinker.) Not a drop. Not even food cooked or flavoured in alcohol.

And yes I still want a drink every waking moment - and I often dream of doing so. Xmas is a coming - always a bad time. The pubs are full and I'm not inside.

Well done for pulling yourself back from the brink. Good luck. :D
    Have to agree well done a daily battle(very close relatives who have been through the same hell) which unfortunately you have to have.
    Keep it up and the best of health.
    Yeah keep up the battle, well done.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    New years resolution nearly two years ago, to never drunk drink again. Going well so far. Never had a problem with it, but cannot face hangovers any more, and suspect there is something wrong with needing to drink to excess to enjoy yourself.

I think we need a euro attitude to drinking, so much more pleasant there.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • You can't beat a pint and a bit of cycling though. Loosens the legs up no?
  • Got to the point a while back where I felt like I needed booze regularly to feel satisfied and to have a good time which eventually set alarm bells ringing.

I cut back and now I feel like I can enjoy a drink socially without it being in control.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    I think I'm classified as a binge drinker nowadays, although most people I know would say I'm not. I go out with a group of mates most Wednesdays and have 4 or 5 pints. Might go out on another night and have a similar amount, or more if it's a big session after work.
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    meursault wrote:
    I think we need a euro attitude to drinking, so much more pleasant there.
    Come to Berlin, the broken glass capital of Europe, and you may get a different opinion, quickly.
  • Enjoy wine more than beer these days, will only have a glass or two on Friday night as club run can get a bit sporty on a Saturday morning. Usually have a bottle of red on Saturday night if not racing on a Sunday (throughout the season). Very rarely go to the pub, still enjoy it when I do but definitely not the old Saturday ritual it used to be before we had kids. The occasional glass of a good single malt is a rare treat as well.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Had a few experiences of too much alcohol during my teens and twenties then kids came along and drinking habits changed. Got along with home made beer and wine for many years. These days have a snifter when the sun is over the yardarm most days, mainly a couple of small bottles of Stella. At Christmas I get a bottle of whiskey and some ginger wine, sherry and port in and this lasts me into the new year. I like a couple of glasses of red wine. I think I could be a bit of an alcoholic so I tend to only buy in what is reasonable consumption. If I had more, I would drink it.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Yes. And no.

As a youth (17-25) I regularly used to go out and get well and truly smashed a couple of times a week or more. 4-5 pints was a lunch time session for me. Then back to college/work and out for more afterwards.

In my current post as a bus driver I hardly ever drink, down to maybe a couple of cans/glasses a month with meals etc. Every couple of months I go out with the lads and get proper messed up though but these days it's generally no more than 8 pints** for that stage to be achieved. Last time out was cocktails. My head hurts still thinking about it.

**Insert relevant equivalent here.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I sat and drank a bottle of red last night, all to myself, very nice it was too. Felt slightly wooly this morning, so I binned the ride and I'm still sat in bed with a cup of tea :D

Haven't had a drink this week, so am I a binge drinker ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Mikey23
    Only one small Stella last night as son had the other one ...
    And what's with all this paper they are putting round the top now. Having to work harder to get at it
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    It's pretty rare I get trolleyed these days, the hangovers get worse and last longer so it's just not worth it. Every now and then like Christmas parties or at special occasions I might have a skinful.

I don't keep much booze in the house as it would just go!
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Mikey23
    Me too... If it ain't in the house I can't be drinking it
  • Don't have beer in the house. If I have a drink it's down the pub and that's usually Friday aft'noon, Sat'day night, Sunday lunch and it's usually 4 pint per session. Nowt in the week.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Do I binge drink? Only when riding.
    The Human Cyclist - A blog, try it, you might like it...
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Mikey23 wrote:
    At Christmas I get a bottle of whiskey and some ginger wine, sherry and port in and this lasts me into the new year.

Er, isn't that only a week. It's not like you said you get those in July and they last...
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    My GP tells me that three pints is a binge, so yes. :roll:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    My GP tells me that three pints is a binge, so yes. :roll:

Chapeau sir. Three pints waiting to see the doc. Impressive.
  • Mickey, reckon ud give boonie a run for his money.