Tubeless Compatible Wheels - Which Tyres?

thegibdog
thegibdog Posts: 2,106
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Just purchased a new Ultegra wheelset from Ribble (they were under £200, I couldn't resist any longer!). Didn't plan on running them tubeless but thought I'd at least explore the options. The wheels will likely be used on the summer/race bike.

Interested in hearing the opinions of people on here who run/have tried tubeless. From what I've read there's no real weight saving and the cost seems higher than normal clinchers but is there a noticeable improvement in ride quality? Do they roll better? Does using them with sealant virtually eliminate punctures?

For those who have tubeless compatible rims which tyres do you run?

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've run Atoms, Fusion 2 and 3s, Intesives, and Bonty R3s (25mm)

The Fusions were pretty good. I didn't really notice any difference between the 2s and 3s, although the 3s seemed to be better quality. Atoms were lighter but no grippier and wore faster, so of the Hutchinsons, I preferred the Fusions. The Intensives were okay but a bit wooden and less grip that both the Atoms and Fusions.

Then I tried the 25mm R3swhich were excellent and my favourite but , again, wore quite quickly, which was annoying.

I've got some Ultremos to put on next so we'll see how they go.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Thanks for the response maddog. I'm not sure I find paying a premium for quick wearing tyres particularly appealing, do you find a significant improvement in the ride compared to standard clinchers?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I thought the schwalbe ZX weren't tubeless ready?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Hi thegibdog,

I posted a similar question in Road General recently under the title 700c Tubeless Wheels and Tyres, there are some answers that may interest you.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    thegibdog wrote:
    do you find a significant improvement in the ride compared to standard clinchers?

I like to run lower pressures, mainly for grip, so tubeless works well for me there. But it's close. If tubeless was the same price as a clincher+tube then it would be a simple choice but you do pay a premium over clinchers. On the rear wheel I think tubeless is the way to go as that carries more weight and gets bigger impacts and has a big influence on comfort, but I'm so-so on the front, and sometimes run a Evo Corsa clincher+latex tube at 90psi without any problems.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer