footwear?

mr joey
mr joey Posts: 427
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all any advice on a good riding shoe for flats thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have Sombrio. About as sticky as 5 10s and don't take a thousand years to dry out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mr joey
    Just had alook on crw and i see a pair of sombrio x slats shoes with 60% of these the ones cooldad?
  • I've got teva links. Even though they are supposed to have special water repelling properties they are still soaked from the weekend. I won't be buying them again.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope I have these but no idea where you can get them locally. I got them from CRC a while ago.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/!vXxbPn3NvbKrq ... tAodiSgA_Q
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bonkey
    bonkey Posts: 11
    5 10s all the way
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I'm very impressed with my Shimano AM41. Plenty of grip on the pedal, good balance between stiffness and flexibility and much more practical than 5.10s. They have flap over the top to help shrug off water and when they do get drenched they don't take too long to dry out. They are also wearing very well. They've had ~6 mouths use from XC to DH stuff and they are still in good condition.
  • mr joey
    Liking the look of the shimanos
  • jairaj wrote:
    I'm very impressed with my Shimano AM41.
    +1.
    Used to have the old AM45s and while stiff and hard-wearing, soaked up water like a sponge and took ages to dry.
    The AM41s are made of different material so are now showerproof.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • As a slight alternative view, I've started using a pair of M'bike Ankle boots for flat pedal use, they are stiff soled and reasonably waterproof with a lace flap . As I already owned them it was a fortunate co-incidence that they worked well, nice and grippy on my Superstar nanos. They aren't perhaps as cheap to buy but may mean there's more choice in what seems a fairly limited set of options for flat cycle shoes . PS mine are piloti moto boots but these are NLA due to piloti going out of business :/.
    As if by magic it looks like piloti are making a comeback (though who knows what they will make ) http://www.piloti.com/
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Shimano AM41's are the best flat shoe I have had.
    5.10 would be better if you live in death valley, they are too absorbant to use anywhere else.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    +1 for the Shimanos, I now have Sombrio X-Shazams, and am equally impressed.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.