Someone mentioned a Backpack....

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
....on here.

It was a motor cycle drybag (rucksack) and it was white and about £25, In view of the fact that i lost a back pack cover and they cost about the same (think Hump) as one of these. I want to recheck this against the Gourdon before I pull the trigger.

Anyone help, might have been the bargains thread.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    alpkit?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • rubertoe
    I want to check this "bag" against the Alpkit Gourdon .
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    rubertoe wrote:

On outdoorsmagic, people have mentioned Lomo.
  • there is another make overboard i think it was called I have seen their backpacks on the back of cyclists and motorcyclists
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • rubertoe
    jimmypippa wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

hero.

That is the one.

Any reason not to get this?

• jimmypippa
    rubertoe wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

hero.

That is the one.

A couple of posters over there have said that they like Lomo gear. Looking at it, I'd consider the Lomo 30L pack before the Alpkit Gourdon 30L or 25L (which are pretty minimalist - single compartment plus storage for hydration bladder next to the back).

My main use is not for riding, but hillwalking, although I do use the Gourdon when I CBA with panniers, or am on my Croix de Fer.

My main daysac is currently the Alpkit Gourdon 20L which has a couple of side mesh pockets for waterbottles and some shockcord on the back to as a fairly rubbish compression system and a reasonable extra storage system, for coats etc. I use the back hydration system holder for storing my maps (which are waterproof themselves).

I guess that the hydration system is the main potential advantage of the Gourdon when riding although I don't use that. When walking I use my bike bottles in the side pockets.
  • jimmypippa
    For shiggles, someone also posted this bag, which is apparently quite good, but "a bit pricey"

and then this from the hiking equivalent of Rapha

Arcteryx does make good quality kit, but its prices are somewhat silly. Especially that one.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    rubertoe wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

hero.

That is the one.

Not that I can see - mine arrived, looks good (like a stormtrooper!) and a good size.

Its a little big for my usual commute load and the weather has been dry so I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but can't see anything wrong with it.
  • That's the one! I have one too! Awesome so far, you can get a fair amount of kit into it & totally waterproof. Only drawback is, there is nowhere to clip a light on. On the whole though, great value for money!
    Specialized Dolce Elite - Commuter Bike
    Charge Plug - Pootle Bike
    Ribble R872 - 'Nice' Bike
  • rubertoe
    I Went for the LOMO 30l drybag in the end, Will see how it is. I know that there is no light clip.

But I have a cunning plan....

• Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    Would the opening on the LOMO be big enough to fit a 15inch Macbook pro through. I think it is about 10 inches wide.

Need a new bag which will mostly be for clothes, but occasional trips with the laptop. The LOMO seems really good value for a dry bag.

Thanks
  • rubertoe
    It will be here tomorrow so I'll let you know on wednesday...

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Lefthook wrote:
    Would the opening on the LOMO be big enough to fit a 15inch Macbook pro through. I think it is about 10 inches wide.

Need a new bag which will mostly be for clothes, but occasional trips with the laptop. The LOMO seems really good value for a dry bag.

Thanks

I'm sure it will. Fits my old 15.4inch laptop easily. My old style Xbox also fitted through the gap fine, if that helps!
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    Thanks for the reply TimothyW.

Appreciate the feedback rubertoe when you get the bag.
  • rubertoe
    Just thought i'd update on the LOMO.

Its frickin Awesome, if a little heavy.

Its comfortable to wear for an hours commute, with good padding and chest and waist straps for stability, Its large enough for all of my needs (clothes, food, extra kit and tools and a lock). It is 100% waterproof and has been tested out in this extreme weather. It can survive a tumble with out issue. It has a sipped pocket on the front which is handy.

Downsides are that there is no light loop and its heavy.

I'll also only use this in the winter on in wet weather and will go back to my Slice when the weather is better as it will be a little bit less sweaty and is lighter.

• gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    rubertoe wrote:
    Just thought i'd update on the LOMO.

Its frickin Awesome, if a little heavy.

Its comfortable to wear for an hours commute, with good padding and chest and waist straps for stability, Its large enough for all of my needs (clothes, food, extra kit and tools and a lock). It is 100% waterproof and has been tested out in this extreme weather. It can survive a tumble with out issue. It has a sipped pocket on the front which is handy.

Downsides are that there is no light loop and its heavy.

I'll also only use this in the winter on in wet weather and will go back to my Slice when the weather is better as it will be a little bit less sweaty and is lighter.

I ordered and received a LOMO bag last week, I chose the hi-vis version.

IMG_1174_zps820b6aa5.jpg

It works admirably well, especially compared to the Jansport bag I was using previously (the complete opposite of waterproof!). As mentioned above, it has no light loop but has a host of reflective strips and chevrons.

IMG_1176_zps0487935a.jpg

Really it's just a sack, and everything gets jumbled together so I have taken to using carrier bags to separate and contain spares etc.

An issue I find (maybe I wear the bag too high) is that the corners of the folded top obstruct my 'lifesaver' checks, so I have to twist in the saddle more than normal to see round it.

IMG_1175_zps9cfaea19.jpg

All in all it is a good bag, it is very waterproof, and one can fit lots of stuff in it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Those ice axe loops must come in handy as well, LOL

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I just bought one Decathlon lightweight and I completely forgot about this:
    http://www.skylandequipment.com/petzl-p ... tackle-bag
    I used to use Petzl equipment when working as an abseiler and spelunking a long time ago and anything I bought from them was exceptional quality. Might have to give a go for this...