Disc rotor compatibility

tonyf34
tonyf34 Posts: 194
edited November 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi all, need to sort the brakes out on a bike I've accquired for my sis in law, it has basic Shimano Mechanical disc brakes, M465 brakes/SM RT-51 discs. The pads were worn to buggery, braking is worse than a set of old side pulls on chrome steel rims in the wet..lol
As I'm a roadie, have very limited knowledge of discs though I've managed to replace the pads on the fronts (rears to come) & have yet to adjust them so they work..(do the pads need to be 'run in'?)
I've no idea if the discs are knackered (they look a bit scored) and want to replace them..I've seen some that I feel would fit but they are Avid G2 and G3s, same 160mm size, 6 bolt jobs, is there any reason why these wouldn't fit?

thanks in advance

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes you need to let them bed in any time the pads are replaced or the caliper adjusted.

Generally as long as the fitting is the same and the diameter is the same there are no issues. Adaptors can be used for diferent rotor diameters. The rotors that can cause issues are the ones with seperate alloy carriers in the center.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tonyf34
    Cheers for that fella, knew I could rely on a fellow Yorkie :)
  • tonyf34
    Mmm, another question,is 6" = 160mm? Spotted some Hayes discs but they are described as 6"
  • 6" is about 152mm

Always happy to help out a fellow Yorkie :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    tonyf34 wrote:
    Mmm, another question,is 6" = 160mm? Spotted some Hayes discs but they are described as 6"
    Yes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    tonyf34 wrote:
    I've seen some that I feel would fit but they are Avid G2 and G3s, same 160mm size, 6 bolt jobs, is there any reason why these wouldn't fit?

thanks in advance

A word of warning about some of the Avid rotors being sold cheap. I got a 185mm one from a UK supplier, via Germany he said, but probably originating in China. It actually measured 180mm so an adaptor change was required. To be fair, it looked the business but I sent it back. Just check the actual dia before fitting it. There are a number selling on Ebay for about £12 each.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130