Stan's No tubes kit not available

remedy_7
remedy_7 Posts: 179
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I have Mavic EX721 rims (Hope Hoops). Stan recommends the Rhyno Lite kit for them which I cannot find anywhere. The items are sold individually. Tape, sealant and rim strip. But works out a lot more expensive.

Is there a big difference between the kits? I understand it is to do with the rim width. Would standard or freeride kits also work? (looking at what is available on Chain Reaction).

Also the EX721 have the larger holes for Shraeder valves but I have always used Presta tubes. Would this make a difference with Stan's NT if I went for the Presta rim strip?

Thanks.

Comments

• remedy_7
    Maxxis High Roller on the back.
    Maxxis Minion on the front.

I've heard some tyres are a pain to do such as Continental.
  • On mavic 319 I did standard rim strip. The rims had a presta /schrader adaptor which I removed.this leaves a larger hole which is virtually what stans advise.
    Bontrager tyres went on with a track pump very easily.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I have the EN521. I had no issues with getting Rhyno Lite kits, Wiggle always had them in stock, is it just the case that stocks are now non-existant?

Yes there's a big difference between the width of the tape and yes, having experimented with other options it does make a difference. The standard won't offer quite such a good seal around the bead (where the proper width rim strip sits really tightly up under the lip, sealing against the tyre bead).

WTB and Bontrager tyres go on well.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I wouldn't bother converting a non -tubeless rim.

With proper rims and tyres then it's probably worth it but conversions are very hit-and-miss with reliability and inflation.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • remedy_7
    Only place I can find with the kit is Halfords on-line.
    Gone back to using a hardtail and I am +90kg. So I'm trying to avoid snakebite punctures.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Look up ghetto tubeless online- plenty of advise / tips. Don't bother with Stan's expensive rim strips - make them yourself from BMX inner tubes. Worked for me putting Surly Knard 29x3" tyres on Velocity P35s - single wrap of yellow rim strip, rims strips and a couple of measures of Stan's sealant - quick blast with a track pump and they've been holding air ever since. Works out at £30 vs £50 for the Stan's kit.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Remedy 7 wrote:
    Maxxis High Roller on the back.
    Maxxis Minion on the front.

I've heard some tyres are a pain to do such as Continental.

You're gonna hear all different things from different people. I converted Mavic 729s with a Stans Freeride strip, with Continental Mountain King Protection 2.4 tyres, and they stayed sealed for 2 years. I only removed them because the rear had worn bald. And they hardly ever needed pumping up during that time. They weren't a pain to fit at all. I just smeared sealant all over the rim strip and tyre beads, pumped them up to 80psi and it all popped into place and never needed any maintenance.