Rear Car Cycle Carrier

THORHUSHOVD
THORHUSHOVD Posts: 20
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Bonjour all, :D

I have recently been looking for a Rear Car Cycle Carrier and was just wondering what you all recomend? I have seen a few but am not really sure when it comes to Cycle Carriers to be honest? :roll: The Roof Top Models are not an option to be honest for various reasons.

Some recomendations or advice would be much appreciated please, :D

Cheers

THOR

Comments

• Gunnsie
    Gunnsie Posts: 171
    Depends what sort of vehicle you have..... hatchback, saloon, 4x4, mpv??
    Have you got a towbar?
    How many bikes will be put on to the carrier?
    Do you want it high level so you can still see your number plate, or will you be buying an additional number plate to attach to the carrier?

Chris
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Saris Bones. I've got the 2 and it's served me well on trips to Norfolk and Cornwall, don't ask me why I took my bike to Norfolk.
    They fit most cars and you have a choice of sizes depending on how many bikes you're going to carry. the Bones 2 cost me about £90 a year or so ago.
  • Gunnsie
    Gunnsie Posts: 171
    Bozman wrote:
    Saris Bones. I've got the 2 and it's served me well on trips to Norfolk and Cornwall, don't ask me why I took my bike to Norfolk.
    They fit most cars and you have a choice of sizes depending on how many bikes you're going to carry. the Bones 2 cost me about £90 a year or so ago.

Grab yourself a bargain: - http://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy__sell/leisure__hobbies/sports_equipment/bicycles/road_bikes/22015151/saris-bones-bike-rack-for-2-bikes/view

Check compatibility with your car first though, as I found mine isn't on the compatibility list for the Saris Bones 2
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    Another Bones user here, excellent racks but, as said above, make sure you check compatibility first.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    Another vote for Saris Bones here. Have the two-bike one, took two bikes to Italy on the back of my estate car this summer, easy as you like. Rock-solid on the autoroutes as well as on Alpine hairpins. But whatever you get, a lighting board is a legal requirement and pretty much essential (if only to avoid insurance complications in the event of an accident).
  • I use one of these but they are discontinued...

http://www.montblancgroup.com/en/bike-carriers/tow-ball-standing-two-bikes-bike-carrier-easy-go-01

I think Thule do a similar one.

A
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    Do you have a tow bar ??? if you do I can recommend the Atrea Strada.

I purchased a Strada with a forth bike adaptor after seeing them on the
    Roofbox Company stand at the Cycle Show. Not cheap but you can get
    a 10% discount and they also do a two bike version.
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    Another vote here for the Atrea Strada (only if you have a tow hook).

Have been using mine for over two years now and is really good. Easy to install, durable and it is not as wide as other makes so I can easily put it in my boot when I leave the car if left for longer periods.
  • Mont Blanc Rear Trek S3

Very solid fit and loads bikes only through the wheels, the arm things just stop the bikes rocking.

http://www.montblancgroup.com/en/bike-carriers#close