Think I may have just found my next bike

Kowalski675
Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
edited November 2013 in MTB general

Comments

• For 1500 quid it's a bargain. I was looking last night.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    That looks amazing value. Anyone have any thoughts about how it rides? Man that may of just chucked a spanner in the works for me.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    11.3kg? I find that a bit hard to believe. Lovely bike though.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Yeah the weight seems a bit optimistic. And....thinking about it, if you spec the reverb and ccdb that brings the total to £1850 making it only 150 quid cheaper than the previous offer On One were doing on the El Guapo (but that one had X9 tranny and lyriks). Still its a bargain whichever way you look at it. As for how it rides, i'm sure it won an award a couple of years ago, or at least was very well reviewed.
  • SOLD OUT ALL THE TIME :(
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    £1500 and it comes with X5? I think I'll pass.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Ed Oxley seems to like his. I'd say that 11.3kg is more than optimistic. That was the frame I was going to get before I found the Votec. Only a couple things put me off pulling the trigger - the issue with BB height (which I believe has now been sorted) and the (what looked like) poor cable routing...apart form that looked/sounded spot on to me
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    AndyOgy wrote:
    £1500 and it comes with X5? I think I'll pass.

When you consider before On-One saved Titus an El Guapo frame on it's own would you set back £1699, and that the frame and fork alone are worth £1000, £1500 for an entire bike is bloody good value! There is nothing else out there that gets close
  • felix.london
    Yep this is true. Think I'd sell all the SRAM gubbins 'as new' and get a full XT groupo on there sharpish

Trek Session 8
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    If you didn't like the X5 build what's to stop you buying the frame and building it up? The frame alone is amazing value
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Waahh pikes are like £700 quid, thats nearly half the cost of the whole bike :shock: how do they do it!
  • ej2320
    The El Guapo reminds me of this

Transition-Team-Carbon-Covert.jpg
  • ej2320
    Waahh pikes are like £700 quid, thats nearly half the cost of the whole bike :shock: how do they do it!

The Pikes on that build can be bought for around £530 but still.. the frame and fork alone is over £1000
  • felix.london
    ej2320 wrote:
    If you didn't like the X5 build what's to stop you buying the frame and building it up? The frame alone is amazing value

Nothing but then if you buy a Pike RC too - you're gonna be looking at about £1,200. So £300 for the SRAM groupo, wheels, tyres and finishing kit...no brainer

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london

Pike RC - more like £500

Trek Session 8
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Oh my bad, I dont know what each model of pike retails for haha
  • ej2320
    ej2320 wrote:

Nothing but then if you buy a Pike RC too - you're gonna be looking at about £1,200. So £300 for the SRAM groupo, wheels, tyres and finishing kit...no brainer

Good point, just if people moan about the parts spec'd I always think.. Just build your own! :)
  • felix.london
    I'd sell the SRAM kit for £300 and buy and full XT groupset for £500

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/transmission-gears/groupsets-mtb/shimano-xt-m780-2-x-10-disc-brake-groupset-black.html

Wallop...£1700 for very decent, brand new enduro rig.

Trek Session 8
  • Kowalski675
    edited October 2013
    Ed Oxley seems to like his. I'd say that 11.3kg is more than optimistic. That was the frame I was going to get before I found the Votec. Only a couple things put me off pulling the trigger - the issue with BB height (which I believe has now been sorted) and the (what looked like) poor cable routing...apart form that looked/sounded spot on to me

I've ridden Ed's medium (he has a small too), albeit very briefly. It felt plush as f**k (CCDB on his), even set for his heavier weight, rather than my whippet build. I'd agree that the claim of 11.3kg is wildly optimistic, but it was no heavyweight either. The cable routing's been revised since earlier frames, and the BB height issue was down to one batch of frames being built on an incorrect jig. Ed's is one of those frames, but it doesn't seem to stop him riding it bloody well - impressive (and slightly disheartening, lol) to watch someone who's so fluid that the bike just seems an extension of their body.
  • Kowalski675
    I'd sell the SRAM kit for £300 and buy and full XT groupset for £500

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/transmission-gears/groupsets-mtb/shimano-xt-m780-2-x-10-disc-brake-groupset-black.html

Wallop...£1700 for very decent, brand new enduro rig.

Nail, head, bosh.

I'd swap the XT brakes I've just bought over onto it (not come across the Avid DB3 before, are they higher or lower spec than my Elixir 3s?) Which is the better fork - the Pike RC, or the Lyrik on the X9 version? The Pike certainly looks sexier, with those black stanchions, yum yum.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774

Pike RC - more like £500

More like £250 at trade cost. I wouldn't spend £1500 on a bike with X5. My £300 Hardrock came with X5.
    I think the Giant Trance is better value.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Which trance? I'd rather have a good fork and budget drivetrain.
  • Kowalski675
    edited October 2013
    supersonic wrote:

Me too. Like has already been said you can sell the drivetrain parts new and upgrade without spending silly money, or upgrade them when they wear out. The same price Trance is very poor spec. Your £1500 gets you budget everything - Deore gearing, bottom of the range brakes (M395) and wheels (S-XC2), plastic compound Schwalbes, Monarch R shock and steel steerer Sektor RL fork.

The El Guapo blows it out of the water for value, and it would cost much more for the Giant owner than the El Guapo owner to make them a comparable spec level. The drivetrain's pretty much the same level on the Giant, but the suspension's far better on the Titus. Go up to the £1900 Trance and the El Guapo still has better suspenders. El Guapo looks better too, but that's subjective.
  • ej2320
    There's this for roughly £1,700
    http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/en/Bi ... icked-650B

Sad thing is I could buy it strip it down, sell the frame and have a full build kit for just over £1,000
  • rockmonkeysc
    supersonic wrote:

The basic version of the pike is unlikely to be any better than the Float CTD on the Trance. Both will be a bit crap.
    The Titus needs a complete group set and a fork upgrade. The Trance just needs a fork swap and you have the original fork to sell and get £250ish back. You're going to get bugger all selling an X5 group set.
    Plus Giant have one of the best rear suspension systems and the Trance is getting excellent reviews.
  • supersonic
    The pike rc will be a bit crap, why?!

Doesn't need a new groupset at all, new shifters maybe.
  • rockmonkeysc
    supersonic wrote:
    The pike rc will be a bit crap, why?!

Doesn't need a new groupset at all, new shifters maybe.

It's a very basic fork. Similar dampers to the Lyrik RC which came fitted to my Reign and is a bit crap.
    I would want to replace the entire transmission on tge Titus. It's the sort of crap normally fitted to £500 bikes and not built to last.
  • supersonic
    It has the new charger damper, just missing the the separate lock platform dial. This is not a basic damper.
  • Kowalski675
    edited November 2013
    Think we'll have to agree to disagree. The Trance looks very poor value next to the El Guapo. Having inspected and sat on one it certainly doesn't feel like anything special. Good frame, but with budget components - the budget's obviously all gone on the frame.

And it doesn't come in sexy raw or gorgeous metallic candy orange finishes, lol...

As for calling the Pike a "very basic fork", that's just nonsense.
  • Kowalski675
    The basic version of the pike is unlikely to be any better than the Float CTD on the Trance. Both will be a bit crap.

The trance doesn't have Fox, it has a Rockshox Sektor RL (with steel steerer tube). Now that is basic.