Golden Cheetah. Time, Duration, Time Riding

Tom Dean
Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
Sometimes I stop and restart the timer on the Garmin within a session - this obviously gives the time that all the averages are worked out from in GC but I can't find how to see it anywhere. any ideas?

Apologies if I'm being dense.

Comments

• Tom Dean
    No - I just want to know how long the timer was running. Duration is the total time between the start and end of a file, Time Riding is time moving (taken from GPS data since I don't use a speed sensor).

I uploaded a file to Garmin Connect to compare and it shows all three: Time, Moving Time and Elapsed Time.

edit: sorry the OP wasn't too clear was it!
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    If you're manually Start/Stopping, that's different from auto-pausing then i think.

Your duration/Elapsed Time will probably be the same as your moving time (give or take the odd second if you come to a stop then press it).

But if you manually Start/Stop then the duration between the first Start and the last Stop will not be a parameter that's recorded .. you need to set auto-pause on to get a duration/elapsed time that's different from the moving time I suspect.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Tom Dean
    Manually stop/starting, the time between first start and last stop is 'Duration' isn't it? Not manually stop/starting and using auto pause, Duration and Moving Time would be the same.

Each activity file contains a recording for each second that the timer is running. All I want to know is how many seconds there are. That is the number used to work out AP, NP etc. I would have though it was fairly basic.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Manually stop/starting, the time between first start and last stop is 'Duration' isn't it? Not manually stop/starting and using auto pause, Duration and Moving Time would be the same.

99% sure it's the other way round, as I use Auto-pause and Duration and Moving Time are nearly always different.

Pressing Stop stops the overall duration clock and moving time clock, pause only stops the moving time one.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Tom Dean
    I don't think I have a problem with the data coming from the Garmin - all the information I need is there. I can go into the GC edit page and see how many seconds are recorded - why can't it just tell me this information?

Out of interest what does WKO+ show? I'm looking forward to trialling the new version when it comes out.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    I must be being a bit dim, as I cannot understand the problem.
    Duration = how many seconds of data did you collect
    Time Riding = how many seconds were you actually riding your bike (i.e. not stationary).

You get both numbers in the summary.

What have I missed?
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Tom Dean
    If I stop the timer for e.g. an hour, that hour is included in the duration figure. There are no data in the edit page covering that period and the time that the average power etc are based on do not include it.

By comparison, when you view a session in Garmin Connect, it shows total time elapsed (duration), time moving (time riding) and the 'timed' time that I am looking for.
  • liversedge
    Tom Dean wrote:
    If I stop the timer for e.g. an hour, that hour is included in the duration figure. There are no data in the edit page covering that period and the time that the average power etc are based on do not include it.

By comparison, when you view a session in Garmin Connect, it shows total time elapsed (duration), time moving (time riding) and the 'timed' time that I am looking for.

No we don't do that. You would achieve the same by having separate rides,
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • offpiste
    offpiste Posts: 1
    So, there is no way to stop the timer as far as Golden Cheetah is concerned other than to create a new ride?
  • liversedge
    Indeed. You seem to have two rides to me.
    --