Philanthropy

ballysmate
ballysmate Posts: 15,921
edited November 2013 in The cake stop
What makes someone who is uber rich, turn to philanthropy? There have been many famous philanthropists over the years, such as John Paul Getty and more recently Bill Gates. But why does someone who has chased the dollar all his life, suddenly feel the need for generosity? Is it a genuine desire to aid his fellow man or a desire to enhance his reputation and look good? Perhaps it's a desire to edge his bets in case there is a divine being and he needs smarty points.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Once you have more than you want you can give the rest away.
    Simple.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Thing is, have they chased the dollar all their life or did they just happen to make loads of money doing something they loved? It's certainly easier to be generous when you still have the personal wealth to live a life of luxury though.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Noblesse oblige.

Whoever claims to be noble must conduct himself nobly.

Not really altruism, but close enough :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,321
    I'm half way there. I've got the ragged trousers.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    daviesee wrote:
    Simple.

This pretty much, once you have all that you need / want in life what good is all that money anyway, it must just then be a status thing surely?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    There are many reasons, many causes.
    Tax write-off can be one.
    Wanting to share can be another.
    Feeling sad for others.
    Wondering if there is something to do good for.
    Mortality ?

My issue is that between us we can fix everything that can be fixed financially. I am happy to give anything I have or earn if it helped someone else. Money buys possessions, they are not so important.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Pross wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Simple.

I like to think that if had serious wealth then I would act in that way - I've never quite understood these people who have so much money they look for things to waste it on when it could be going to help others. I just don't see how anyone can be so self-centred they would spend thousands filling a bath with champagne just because they can and don't know what else to do with their wealth.

I think the point is that when you get to a certain point you lose touch at the start and only after time realise that you can do more/other things with the money.
    Living MY dream.
  • arran77
    Well lets see if spen666 has the kahunas to come back on here and explain themselves, somehow I imagine they won't :roll:

BTW, the naughty step is great, especially when it involves Super Nanny :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    arran77 wrote:
    Well lets see if spen666 has the kahunas to come back on here and explain themselves, somehow I imagine they won't :roll:

Cojones, even?
    arran77 wrote:

And I thought it was only me who had a secret "thing" about her :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • arran77
    SecretSam wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

Cojones, even?
    arran77 wrote:

Sounds like we mean the same thing....

Kahuna

Australian slang for testicles. Probably came about as a confusion between spanish cohones and hawaiian kahuna.

"Wait a second, he told the cop he was full of shit? Guy must have some pretty big kahunas.…"

Oh yeah Super Nanny, she can discipline me any day :wink:

seanoconn
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    So how would you define serious wealth and what is 'enough'?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Maybe the supa rich folk just realise that they really dont need everything they ve worked for and they genuinely like to see the happiness their money can bring to an individual or a community?

Or maybe its guilt at how many people they crushed on the way up :twisted:
  • I think it could well just be human nature.

I would bet most of us on here give to charity to a greater/lesser degree on a regular basis; and I would bet we've all had the fantasy of winning a fortune on the lottery and planning the good causes we would support and projects we'd aid.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • PLease keep this thread within the rules or I'll delete it altogether.
    left the forum March 2023
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424

What does that mean?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • arran77
    PLease keep this thread within the rules or I'll delete it altogether.

Lock it, spen666 is clearly not going to come back and justify his outburst :roll:

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

Cojones, even?
    arran77 wrote:

Sounds like we mean the same thing....

Kahuna

Australian slang for testicles. Probably came about as a confusion between spanish cohones and hawaiian kahuna.

"Wait a second, he told the cop he was full of shoot? Guy must have some pretty big kahunas.…"

Oh yeah Super Nanny, she can discipline me any day :wink:

yo mean one these belters, non?
  • Mikey23
    Private initiatives for public good focussing on quality of life as per wiki

For me, a genuine desire to aid fellow man giving money, time and talents where appropriate. I can't speak for mr gates but whatever his motivation he is doing remarkable works. If anyone is interested, I will try to recall what we are involved in. Not to boast but to illustrate what is possible.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228

Why was my post deleted?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

Why was my post deleted?
    It broke the rules.
    Fuck the rules.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I think we can all appreciate people who for whatever reason donate large sums of money to worthy causes and make an appreciable difference. Whether it is for altruistic reasons, to make themselves feel good or to show off, ultimately it doesn't matter.
    On a smaller scale, I am sure most of us have encountered someone down the pub or perhaps at work, who tries that bit too hard, using their wealth to buy friends or popularity.
  • arran77

Why was my post deleted?

Because for some bizarre reason you got singled out here, spen666 is the person who should have been picked up on but as yet has not (apart from posts being deleted which is a shame as it showed spen to be a stirrer) :roll:

seanoconn
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I recall back in the 90's when the economy was at it's best for decades there was a surge in applications to Voluntary Service Overseas from succesful professionals who just wanted to check out of there careers for a while. Apparently earning lots of money wasn't as satisfying as we thought.

In the words of Lily Tomlin: "The trouble with the Rat Race- even if you win, you're still a rat!"

Feel free to add that to your signature.
  • Mikey23
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -dead.html

Interesting piece which gives the motives and motivation of one person. Apologies if this has already been done
  • Mikey23
    That's an amazing quote... I want the last cheque I write to bounce
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    It's guilt, and the realisation that chasing the dollar was a life wasted.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • arran77
    Mikey23 wrote:

What the one to the undertaker :wink:

seanoconn
  • meursault
    Mikey23 wrote:

At the risk of being accused of an economic determinist, that could capitalism's sign off note.

Voltaire
  • Mikey23
    So is economic philanthropism a more acceptable form of capitalism?
    The Gates foundation seem to be putting this forward as an economic model...
  • meursault
    Mikey23 wrote:
    So is economic philanthropism a more acceptable form of capitalism?
    The Gates foundation seem to be putting this forward as an economic model...

Nah you can't reform it. It seems a nice idea, lets all be nice, but the bottom line dictates reality.

Voltaire