Cervelo r3 ?

Gpfanuk
Gpfanuk Posts: 142
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi there, after a year spent on a Triban 3 covering many Km's, three sportives and my first century ride I am now almost in position to pull the trigger on a new, better bike. I feel as though my budget of around £1800 should prove enough without upsetting the financial planner (wife) at home!
I have looked at all manner of bikes from comfort based sportive bikes such as the Trek domane 4.3 to more race designed bikes such as the Cannondale Supersix Evo and still can't decide.
My dilemma is this: I am a fairly fit 44 year old male (5ft 11 and 75kg)with no aches or pains even after reasonably long rides, however I know that I won't always be like this and so may lean more towards a more comfortable bike.
I am travelling to the states early next year and whilst there will have a chance to visit a shop retailing Cervelo bikes. Would you consider a Cervelo R3 with full shimano 105 for approx £1600 worth bringing home?
Apologies for the long winded query but your help is much appreciated! :?
Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
Triban3
Felt AR5
ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016

Comments

• KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    Hello,
    the short answer is probably yes, but here's the long answer.
    I'm the same build as you and have done about 3500 miles on my Cannondale Supersix and it has been a superb bike. The better I've got, the more I get out of it and it's pretty comfy for a race bike- I've done a few century rides on it and did the Etape this year and now I have got the fit right it's spot on. So big yes for the Cannondale.
    However the one bike i'd consider instead is a Cervelo, and for that price an R3 would be a great buy. The other bike to consider is the new Cannondale Synapse which seems to be getting great reviews.
    You mention you are in Cheshire. Royles in Wilmslow do all of the bikes you listed, so if it's not too far it would be worth visiting to sling a leg over each.
    Hope that helps
    Ben
    Ps there are other great bike shops in Cheshire and I am by no means employed by the one I mention!
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 169
    I'd definitely recommend the R3. Its such a light, comfortable yet poised bike and has an amzing feeling of taking the edge off bumps/impacts while still feeling direct. I loved mine and really regret getting rid of it. If you want something v similar but slightly more 'sportive' orientated there's always the RS.

Having said all that the new Synapse is meant to be really good!
  • Looks like a bargain - so yes.

I have an R3 Team 2012 - about 6.5Kg with DA 9000 group set and DA 24cc wheels. Its a great bike for hill climbing and on the rubbish roads I ride in the Chilterns on club runs. Also pretty stiff so sprints well. They still use the R3 for Paris Roubaix - great frame for comfortable riding - much better than so called sportive orientated bikes like the Focus Ergoride which I used to own. Its also quicker overall due to racier orientation and far more stable on descents. I am 51 yrs old, 6ft 1 and around 75kg with a really bad back - size 56 works for me and no bike related back issues.

If you want a really fast bike the S5 is the business. I have a VWD version, so pretty light given the amount of extra carbon- its slightly less comfortable but not too bad - certainly not uncomfortable. I have done 100 mile Sportives on it, including Ride London Surrey 100 (4hr:50mins) - very quick apart from climbing monsters like Ventoux or those seriously steep climbs (over 10%) where the R3 excels.

Great bikes both.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You planning to smuggle it back into the UK and avoid import duty etc?

eg ride it for a while in the US and get it dirty before packing in a bike box and travelling back with it?
  • How about an R3 105 Dark Edition (which is actually an R5 Frame) if you know 56cm is correct for you:
    http://www.primera-sports.com/products/ ... 18902.aspx

Save the hassle of smuggling it back to the UK as well as any future warranty issues (unless international warranty is included).

I had a good service from Primera although I had to travel to them to collect the bike, worth it though.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    How about an R3 105 Dark Edition (which is actually an R5 Frame) if you know 56cm is correct for you:
    http://www.primera-sports.com/products/ ... 18902.aspx

Save the hassle of smuggling it back to the UK as well as any future warranty issues (unless international warranty is included).

I had a good service from Primera although I had to travel to them to collect the bike, worth it though.

Its not an R5 frame though ! the R3 looks like an R5 but the layup is different as is the carbon
  • I thought it had been confirmed, including by Primera, that they are actually the older R5 frames (due to them changing for 2014) rebadged as the R3 Dark Editions.

Guess they could be in trouble for mis-selling these by misleading the customers.... seems odd though as several companies seem to have confirmed that the rebadge is correct.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • peteone
    peteone Posts: 152
    They are 2013 R5 frames rebadged.

As for the R3, it's a great bike. Very comfy to ride, soaks up loads of buzz. I bought mine for winter but find myself using it more than my tcr sl.

£1600 for the 105 version is a cracking deal considering the frames RRP is £1700.

For the extra 400 notes I'd go for the Dark if you can get one in your size.
    Cervelo R3
    Giant TCR SL
    Ibis Tranny
  • turnerjohn
    peteone wrote:

As for the R3, it's a great bike. Very comfy to ride, soaks up loads of buzz. I bought mine for winter but find myself using it more than my tcr sl.

£1600 for the 105 version is a cracking deal considering the frames RRP is £1700.

says who ? theres no actual proof other then hearsay ! yes they look the same but that goes for all 3 versions of the S5 !
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    peteone wrote:

Is the bike a 2014 model for that price?
  • peteone
    I when I was looking at getting one my dealer had just returned from a factory visit and was told there.
    Cervelo R3
    Giant TCR SL
    Ibis Tranny
  • peteone
    Stueys wrote:
    peteone wrote:

Is the bike a 2014 model for that price?
    No the 2014 R3 is £2000 with 105.
    Cervelo R3
    Giant TCR SL
    Ibis Tranny
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited October 2013
    Gpfanuk wrote:
    Hi there, after a year spent on a Triban 3 covering many Km's, three sportives and my first century ride I am now almost in position to pull the trigger on a new, better bike. I feel as though my budget of around £1800 should prove enough without upsetting the financial planner (wife) at home!
    I have looked at all manner of bikes from comfort based sportive bikes such as the Trek domane 4.3 to more race designed bikes such as the Cannondale Supersix Evo and still can't decide.
    My dilemma is this: I am a fairly fit 44 year old male (5ft 11 and 75kg)with no aches or pains even after reasonably long rides, however I know that I won't always be like this and so may lean more towards a more comfortable bike.
    I am travelling to the states early next year and whilst there will have a chance to visit a shop retailing Cervelo bikes. Would you consider a Cervelo R3 with full shimano 105 for approx £1600 worth bringing home?
    Apologies for the long winded query but your help is much appreciated! :?
    Wouldn't import duty etc take it over the price it can be bought here for?
  • turnerjohn
    peteone wrote:
    I when I was looking at getting one my dealer had just returned from a factory visit and was told there.

yeh cause thats offical :roll: