Best Time to eat my Banana?

sethy
sethy Posts: 14
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
Recently I have been bringing a banana to work, to scoff just before I leave for the 10 mile commute (which takes me around 35 mins through Bham city centre)

Could the collective wisdom of the forum tell me the optimum delay between eating my banana and getting on my bike, so that I can make sure I am always the fastest thing in Birmingham at rush hour!? :lol:

I currently just eat it as I leave the office (which is followed by 8 minutes of getting changed and a 5 minute walk to the bike sheds), and it seems to have been helping considerably!

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I reckon it's placebo; assuming you ate a decent lunch and don't have a particularly physical job, you should already have enough glycogen in your system for a 35 min ride, so my vote is for whenever you fancy it.

I used to use energy drinks, gels, bananas etc before races, until I figured out that for short races (up to an hour or so) it was unlikely to make a difference unless I'd also ridden to the race. Since I stopped making an effort to feed myself up I've detected exactly no difference. This includes early morning 10-mile TTs, where I now always race on an empty stomach.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I tend to eat it 20-30 minutes before I ride if I remember /anecdotal

I only tend to eat them if I'm extending the ride home or I've been spinning at lunch
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Erm when you feel hungry?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    The best time is when your oxygen intake is low as your body shifts to using carbohydrates for it's main source of fuel so eat your banana when you are about to reach warp 9. You will know when you reach this state as you won't be able to talk, but then if you are eating a banana maybe you should not be talking anyway, but as you're a commuter shouting at cars if fine :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Southgate
    Southgate Posts: 246
    If your aim is to be the fastest commuter cyclist in town, then forget the slow-release carbs of the banana and take a quick-release caffeinated gel about 10 mins before you ride.
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I saw a video once of a bloke eating his own banana; it was gross :oops:

I eat mine just before I head downstairs to get changed before riding home.
    FCN = 4
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    If I were you I'd eat it a bit earlier, but make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the afternoon. Just make sure you empty your bladder before you leave.

I'll eat a banana just before a long ride, then eat another after a couple of hours.
  • The choice is solely down to you as you know your body but I would eat the banana 40-60mins before cycling...

You do not want to be hungry or stuffed when cycling...just the right balance...
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    4:23.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    MTFU and teach your body to ride a bike for 30 mins without having to eat a special meal.

Is this you on a club run? jan_3_2002_bananas.jpg
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Agreed with the above that for a 35 minute ride as long as you aren't hungry then it will make little difference.

Get that caffinated gel instead ;)
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I just ate my banana, now to plan which KOMs to go for on my way home...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbPxRAeClJA
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    About 4:45 - Out the door by 5:15. 8)