So i've just got me an Ipad.

upperoilcan
upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
edited November 2013 in The cake stop
Tell me what Apps i need boys and girls.
Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.

Comments

• Strava ;)

Seriously it depends on what you want to use it for. Many will get by with the stock apps.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Why?

Strikes me as a pointless gadget (my wife has one)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • It's so you can browse Bike Radar while sitting on the sofa.
  • upperoilcan
    It's so you can browse Bike Radar while sitting on the sofa.

Or whilst at work ! Ssssshhh !
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Laptop for serious work.
    Smartphone for portability.

A pad is the computer equivalent of a hybrid. :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Sometimes a hybrid is the correct choice.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I got given an iPad retina a few months back, gave it away to my folks, as they are old and what they find easy to use I find slow and inconvenient to do anything on.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I want one. I don't need one, but I want one. I'd probably go for the new iPad mini now it has the Retina display.
  • Wife has the iPad Mini (non-rentina) really really nice device. Not like the old big iPad which is clumsy and heavy. Perfect size for sitting on the sofa.

Easy to use too as my 2 year old has it figured out - she can unlock it, go to folders, launch apps etc ;)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Sometimes a hybrid is the correct choice.
    Having previously had a hybrid and not missed it for one second, I have to ask; when?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:
    Having previously had a hybrid and not missed it for one second

Haha, snap :D
  • upperoilcan
    Easy to use too as my 2 year old has it figured out - she can unlock it, go to folders, launch apps etc ;)

Part of the reason why i got the Ipad,my 2yr old has been playing games on my Iphone,then gets bored and starts ringing everyone in my address book. :lol:

The Ipad will put a stop to that.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    tablets are handy for times when you want to browse the internet but can't be arsed to boot the laptop and the phone is just too small.
    Typing is a little easier than a phone, but not much - you need a bluetooth keyboard if you want to do any "serious" typing ..
    Watching movies is nice - especially when sat at the airport waiting for your flight ..
    Reading books (when it's dark) is good too - saves carrying the kindle and a torch around with you ;)

Anyway - what apps ...
    Strava - only if you want to load it into your pockets on a ride - I've got it on mine, but usually load up the web version - I don't take it on rides!
    No other cycle based apps I can think of - there are some fitting apps and bike maint apps - but not that I've used.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Wife has one, played on it for a few minutes and got totally bored and hate it. I would much rather have a laptop or a desktop and my phone does everyhting an ipad can do. Plus it fits in one hand.

Useless gadget.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I like the chopping board app.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • For cycling then google maps is the best app you can get for iPad ;)
  • goonz
    Who on earth carries an ipad with them whilst cycling?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I had the same opinion as others about tablets (the hybrid thing) but since getting one I use it everyday. It's so much better for web browsing than a phone and it's just ready for use whenever you want it. As for apps, there are none I use regularly other than stuff like Facebook but I tend to download games and play them until I get bored then get something else. I use iBooks and Kobo quite a bit and use the iPad as eBook (although I still prefer a real book) and it is good for watching movies when travelling (and I'm sure some people find it perfect for 'adult entertainment' too!!).
  • goonz
    Or for taking pictures in a museum or similar whilst you jab your elbows in peoples faces trying to get a good shot.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    It all depends on what you expect from a tablet. I use mine for browsing the net when on the sofa or in bed, always take it away with me it's great to have on holidays for lazy days just reading books or a magazines, I use various apps for design drawings. I also use it for catch up tv services and for sky viewing when away from home. Comes in handy for things taking a picture on my iPhone and having it sync straight to the iPad over wifi to show the family as soon as I get in the house.
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    My son got me into Clash Of Clans.

We had a power cut for a number of hours on Monday and watched catch up TV ... good job the iPad was fully charged.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    All the apps on ours are for the children, there are some great educational ones and they pick it up so easily.

I just find it so convenient to use, only ever use a PC at work now :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    arran77 wrote:
    All the apps on ours are for the children, there are some great educational ones and they pick it up so easily.

Monkey Lunchbox? :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

Monkey Lunchbox? :D

I might have spent a little time playing that :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Part of the reason why i got the Ipad,my 2yr old has been playing games on my Iphone,then gets bored and starts ringing everyone in my address book. :lol:

The Ipad will put a stop to that.

Until they work out how to use FaceTime as that works through WIFI ... :wink::mrgreen:
  • upperoilcan
    ToeKnee wrote:

Not in my clan are you ? Lol it's a great game.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    ToeKnee wrote:

Not in my clan are you ? Lol it's a great game.
    I've been playing (alot) since May. Clan name is 'National Allies' - there are several with the same name, which is mad.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • upperoilcan
    Nice !! Mine is called the The Ten Swords ! Been playing a while too.

It's much better on the Pad i have to say.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • If you like old-skool retro beat-em-up type games (like Streets of Rage, Final Fight etc.) then you could do worse than take a look at FIST OF AWESOME ... a good homage to the genre. It's not free, at the moment, but I think it's worth it.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Erm, spotify, digital radio, Facebook, yahoo, kindle and strava mainly. Occasionally games when I'm in the mood. It mainly gets used when sitting in the lounge and half watching the telly. Could do without it but I kind of like it