Trainer tyre - old size - 32-630

rich_b1970
rich_b1970 Posts: 3
Does anyone know where I can get a trainer tyre for my old bike that is on a turbo trainer?

The tyre size is 32-630. It's a 1983(?) Raleigh Record Ace that I dusted down and spruced up.

Many thanks if you can help - Wiggle don't stock them, Evans don't stock them, Continental appear to make only road tyres in that size, as do Vittoria and Schwalbe.

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Sounds to me like 27" x 1 1/4", since 700c is ETRO rim size 622, which is smaller than a 27".
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just use your old tyre maybe ?
  • Good point cougie. The old tyre is currently on it - the reason for the question is it appears to have gone flat overnight and so I thought that now would be a good time to think about a new one for it.

That said, the old tyre is literally so old that it is falling apart - another reason to think about a replacement.

Me-109 - I need to confirm that a 27 x 1 1/4 is indeed a 32-630 but, either way, they're like rocking horse manure for turbo trainers.

Any further advice from more experienced members is very much appreciated. Thanks both, and thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Rich.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    A turbo tyre might last longer, but you can buy 2 crappy regular ones for the price of a trainer tyre, so its probably more economical that way.

Ive read several times that trainer tyres arent any quieter, its just the durability thats different.

If your turbo is quiet then you should be training harder anyway, right?!
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If the tyre has gone flat - then just get a new inner tube in it. And if the wheel is just for turbo use only - I'd see if the crappy old tyre is good enough.

All of this turbo tyre mallarkey is a cunning excuse to part us from our money. OK they might last longer and be quieter but for 90% of the purchasers - they'll be used twice and sit in the garage untouched again.