Turbo TrainerStarting out have I missed anything

Dazza @>@'
Dazza @>@' Posts: 65
edited November 2013 in Training, fitness and health
Hi,
I have a TREK Domane 2.3 with 700x25c wheels and Shimano Tiagra 12-30, 10 speed with a Shimano R565, 50/34 (compact) the shifters are Shimano 105 STI, 10 speed.
I'm setting myself up for winter so the cheapest way I can do this so far is: Turbo Trainer wheel I have in mind from Evans Cycles:
Wilkinson 700C Double Wall Rim 8/9 Speed Cassette
The Shimano Acera HG20 9 Speed Cassette

I also know I need a trainer tyre.

Can you advise me as to is it compatible and a sraight swap?

Do have a better way I can or should do?

Comments

• Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Yep, but many including myself get an old spare wheel and cassette and fit the trainer tyre to that as they can be a bitch to fit and it makes it so much easier to switch wheels rather than tyres.

Look out in the classifieds for cheaper wheels, don't worry about weight, looks or anything else as long as it is fairly true and the bearings are OK.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Do you really need a trainer tyre and wheel ? Nobody had trainer tyres a few years back and we managed just fine.
    Some turbos will wear your tyre more than others - but how much is a tyre vs a new wheel and new tyre ?

(Some turbos even run on your rim and others don't even use wheels)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I did think about a separate wheel and tyre but didn't bother in the end. I have a conti gatorskin which has now done several hundred miles on the turbo, is looking a little flat but still useable and will probably last the winter when I will replace it fairly cheaply...

A great big fan is something you should consider... You will be amazed how much you sweat and how uncomfortable that can be. An exercise mat underneath will dampen things down a bit
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dazza - what turbo is it you are getting ? And a fan definitely will help you.
  • cougie wrote:
    Dazza - what turbo is it you are getting ? And a fan definitely will help you.

I am in the process of selling my old bike, then it'll be either gumtree branded (tacx/cycleops/ elite gel) bargain or a new
    trainer for about £120 tops i.e:

Minoura - B60-R Cycle Trainer
    Elite Magnetic Cycle Trainer

Any advice is welcome?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Elite Mag used year through and turbo tyre (on turbo bike) well into second year of use. :)
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Dazza @>@' wrote:
    Hi,
    I have a TREK Domane 2.3 with 700x25c wheels and Shimano Tiagra 12-30, 10 speed with a Shimano R565, 50/34 (compact) the shifters are Shimano 105 STI, 10 speed.
    I'm setting myself up for winter so the cheapest way I can do this so far is: Turbo Trainer wheel I have in mind from Evans Cycles:

If I understand you correctly the plan is to use a 9 speed cassette but you've got a 10 speed shifter and derailleur. Is that intentional? You will need a 10 speed cassette.
  • ai_1
    Incidentally I use an old wheel with trainer tyre having previously worn out standard road tyres on the trainer. Haven't been using the trainer tyre for long as yet but so far there's no wear to speak of and it's much quieter than a standard road slick so I would recommend this approach.
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    cougie wrote:
    Do you really need a trainer tyre and wheel ? Nobody had trainer tyres a few years back and we managed just fine.
    Some turbos will wear your tyre more than others - but how much is a tyre vs a new wheel and new tyre ?
    I just put my bike straight onto the turbo. I use the turbo a lot and I haven't seen any excessive wear at all, so I don't intend to buy a dedicated tyre or wheel/tyre any time soon.
    What I would recommend is a thong to stop all the sweat dripping onto your bike, and some form of mat underneath the whole set up. I bought a cheap turbo mat to stop the drips going all over the carpet in my flat, but others have said a camping sleeping bag mat does the job.
    A pile of magazines works fine under the front tyre if you don't fancy stretching to a wheel raiser.

Cheers,
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • I'm set on the Minoura B60-R I reckon. then its sufferfest time......
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    Dazza @>@' wrote:
    Hi,

If I understand you correctly the plan is to use a 9 speed cassette but you've got a 10 speed shifter and derailleur. Is that intentional? You will need a 10 speed cassette.

I thought about this and decided that I did not need a 10 speed as I would be using the turbo resistance remote rather than all the gears. There is a big price jump from 9 - 10 cassettes I am of limited means

Unless someone says WOOOOOAAAHHH it wont work then I assume it'll be fine.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    It can be done. But isn't great and the price difference isn't huge. Better to get a 10spd.
    Rich
  • ai_1
    10 speed chains are narrower than 9 speed chains if I'm not mistaken. So I think you'll have a compatibility issue on that front but even if that's not an issue your rear derailleur will not align with the sprockets when you switch from your 10 speed to 9 speed wheel so you may have to re-index your gears every time you switch from road to trainer - not very practical. Furthermore the cassette will be useless for anything but the trainer. Why not take the opportunity to get an alternative ratio? Have a look on http://www.chainreactioncycles.com for cassettes. Tiagra 9 speed is €14.99. Tiagra 10 speed is €18.99. Not a huge difference. Certainly not enough to justify all the potential hassle.
  • Ali_1 Thanks for you input, I've woke up and decided I'll just get the turbo trainer and the money I'd spend on wheel and cassette will be added to the trainer upgrade.

Thanks to you all its going to be a turbo and road trainer tyre. (OH and SUFFERFEST for inspiration).
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    And if you have strava premium, there are three suffer feast vids available