Pro Lite Garda vs Easton EA50 Aero

ge0123
ge0123 Posts: 6
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Looking to get a fairly budget wheelset for training through winter - my budget is £150 max due to being a student :lol:
Two sets that have caught my eye are the Pro Lite Garda priced at £119:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-lite-garda- ... -wheelset/

And the Easton EA50 Aero (with a significant price cut RRP £320 according to BikeRadar):

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/easton-ea50-aer ... ear-wheel/

I have heard great things about the ProLites (i.e. bombproof etc.) but I am assuming that these are based on value for money. Conversely, I have heard not-so-good things about the Eastons based on their price at £320 however wiggle are selling them for £130.

Tl;dr : Should I buy Easton EA50 at £130 or Pro Lite Gardas at £119?

P.S I weigh 75-80kg

Pro Lite Garda Review:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/2013/08/bomb ... nDjkZQkJfQ

Easton EA50 Reviews:
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -11-44557/
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheel ... 90crx.aspx

Comments

• The paired hole rim drilling alone would put me off completely... the Garda are not an upgrade to anything and I would not even put my hand on the fire that they are so solid.

On the other hand, the Easton at that price are certainly worh a punt. I suspect these are a reasonably old model, but they make a lot of sense for someone who builds and repairs wheels... everything there can be repaired and replaced...

Bear in mind I have not ridden either... I am just basing my assumptions on what you get for your money
    left the forum March 2023
  • ge0123
    The paired hole rim drilling alone would put me off completely... the Garda are not an upgrade to anything and I would not even put my hand on the fire that they are so solid.

On the other hand, the Easton at that price are certainly worh a punt. I suspect these are a reasonably old model, but they make a lot of sense for someone who builds and repairs wheels... everything there can be repaired and replaced...

Bear in mind I have not ridden either... I am just basing my assumptions on what you get for your money

Thanks for the input - I have always heard good things about Easton in general (hand built, consistent quality etc.), I just haven't heard anything too promising about the EA50s specifically.
  • ge0123
    Would be great to get some input from anyone who has ridden either of these sets! :D
  • ge0123 wrote:
    I just haven't heard anything too promising about the EA50s specifically.

I normally don't trust reviews, as they rarely talk about the things I am interested to hear about... they point out to stupid things like pawls engagement delay and hub stiffness (???) and how well they hold speed and other nonsense.
    What is the problem they see in the Easton that I cannot see from the pictures?
  • ge0123
    ge0123 wrote:
    I just haven't heard anything too promising about the EA50s specifically.

What is the problem they see in the Easton that I cannot see from the pictures?

Fair point, just all the reviews I have read are lukewarm. In hindsight I should have explained that the main thing I am concerned about is build quality. Thanks for your help, I reckon I'll end up going for the Eastons tbh
  • ge0123 wrote:
    Fair point, just all the reviews I have read are lukewarm. In hindsight I should have explained that the main thing I am concerned about is build quality. Thanks for your help, I reckon I'll end up going for the Eastons tbh

I wouldn't be worried at all about that. The important thing is that if the build quality is not good, they can be sorted easily... while if you have a set of Ksyrium with a poor build quality, you are pretty much fuxked until the retailer takes pity of you and offers you a replacement set
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    You realise the Easton price is for the rear wheel ONLY right?
  • PeteMadoc wrote:

There's the catch... :roll:
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I have a set of Eastons, the rear wheel needs a new hub. I'd be happy to sell you them as they are for £100 + postage.
  • I have a set of Eastons, the rear wheel needs a new hub. I'd be happy to sell you them as they are for £100 + postage.

What's broken beyond repair in your hub?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited October 2013
    What about Mavic Cosmic Elites for Circa £180? (Allegedly 1770g)

I don't technically 'need' any, but at that price I may get a pair to go with my Ksyrium Elites.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • supermurph09
    I have a set of Eastons, the rear wheel needs a new hub. I'd be happy to sell you them as they are for £100 + postage.

Hi Ugo, tbh what I should have said was there is a problem with the rear wheel. When I stop pedalling the bike thinks otherwise and the pedals can often turn a few revolutions by themselves. Not sure what will need fixing or an approximate cost?
  • I have a set of Eastons, the rear wheel needs a new hub. I'd be happy to sell you them as they are for £100 + postage.

Hi Ugo, tbh what I should have said was there is a problem with the rear wheel. When I stop pedalling the bike thinks otherwise and the pedals can often turn a few revolutions by themselves. Not sure what will need fixing or an approximate cost?

Most likely it will cost nothing to fix. Two x 5 mm Allen Key should open your rear hub caps, then pull off the freehub, clean the pawls with oil (any oil, but NOT solvent or WD40)... do the same with the ratchet, wipe the excess oil, put a thin layer of runny grease and reassemble. Should work then. If the pawls retaining spring is rusted you will need to find one that works... they are worth 1 pound, it's just a matter of finding the one that fits
  • supermurph09
    Well if thats not an excuse to try out my new tool kit I don't know what is!!

Thanks, I'll give it a go and report back.
  • Ugo, would this article be what I need to follow: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ub-service
    Yes, yours will look like the Bontrager one... although I think yours open with 2 x 5 mm Allen keys, but I can't remember to be honest... last Easton I serviced was in the summer of 2012
  • ge0123
    PeteMadoc wrote:

wow, what a way to introduce myself to the forum, schoolboy error :( ordered the rear anyway, I'll just have to get a matching front next month and get used to beans on toast for a little while!

many thanks to all that have contributed - I will bookmark this thread and update how I get on with the EA50s if anyone is interested.

thanks!!!!
  • ge0123 wrote:

wow, what a way to introduce myself to the forum, schoolboy error :( ordered the rear anyway, I'll just have to get a matching front next month and get used to beans on toast for a little while!

many thanks to all that have contributed - I will bookmark this thread and update how I get on with the EA50s if anyone is interested.

thanks!!!!

I think you are better off returning it straightaway and get a refund. Wiggle use Collect+, which is really hassle free and you don't have to pay to send stuff back.
  • Not sure all of the parts for Easton wheels are obtainable if replacements are needed. This is not quite what the Easton website would have you believe. I have some Easton Vista Sl's ( i think they are they are the forerunners to the EA50s) and they are needing new rims and as I can't get any new ones, I am having to get them replaced with an alternative. It does limit the choice a little.
  • Kangarouge wrote:
    Not sure all of the parts for Easton wheels are obtainable if replacements are needed. This is not quite what the Easton website would have you believe. I have some Easton Vista Sl's ( i think they are they are the forerunners to the EA50s) and they are needing new rims and as I can't get any new ones, I am having to get them replaced with an alternative. It does limit the choice a little.

On the up side, you DO have an alternative... get the DA Cl 24/RS 81 or the Mavic Ksyrium and you DO NOT have an alternative.