Sportful Reflex

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
I am thinking that with the nights now drawing in and having to commute both ways in the dark (and generally getting older and therfore worrying more), I need something that is a bit more reflective.

The Sportful Reflex seems to fit the bill (not sure jacket or gillet). Anyone got any reall life experience of these.

jacket and gilet.

I'd probably go for the black.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    If i'm not massively mistaken (I was half asleep when I flicked through it) but I think this months Cycling Plus comic has a full winter cycling clothing run down, with a page spread just for Sportful. I think. Don't quote me on this.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    memsley89 wrote:
    If i'm not massively mistaken (I was half asleep when I flicked through it) but I think this months Cycling Plus comic has a full winter cycling clothing run down, with a page spread just for Sportful. I think. Don't quote me on this.

Really?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    memsley89 wrote:
    quoted
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    :roll:
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    My gf likes hers. It's probably much of a muchness with other cycling jackets but for the money it seems nicely made.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If buying one to be visible when commuting, surely yellow would make more sense?
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    apreading wrote:
    If buying one to be visible when commuting, surely yellow would make very little difference (if not actually making you less visible in some conditions) however more reflectives would be a good idea according to recent research?

fixed.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • rubertoe
    MrSweary wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    If buying one to be visible when commuting, surely yellow would make very little difference (if not actually making you less visible in some conditions) however more reflectives would be a good idea according to recent research?

fixed.

Hence why the OP said he'd go for black... :roll:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    rubertoe wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:
    apreading wrote:

fixed.

Hence why the OP said he'd go for black... :roll:

I wasn't commenting on your choice good sir... more on the assumption that dayglo yellow is the best thing for being seen in low light.

Not had our morning coffee yet? :)
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    The black Reflex has large reflective areas so it's pretty visible at night.
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    memsley89 wrote:

Really?

To quote myself, I double checked last night, and it does!
    Although the reflex isn't reviewed, they tried the Alpe jacket, which they gave 4 stars.
    The main point was, "if it's good enough for Saxo Bank" :wink:
  • rubertoe
    They dont have the Jacket in stock. Still tempted by the gilet though. at £12 plus an extra 10% off how can you go wrong.

• FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Gilet - yes
    Jacket - boil in the bag.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Gilet - yes
    Jacket - boil in the bag.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    The reflex jacket is indeed boil in the bag as I have one. Its very comfy, but after yesterday's 40 mile detour on the way home my jersey was dripping wet through. Strangely though, I never felt cold or too warm in it. For the £14 I paid I'm happy with it.
  • A bit late as I see from the bargains thread that the OP has now bought one, but I thought I'd add my experiences with the gilet for anyone else who's interested.

I've had the red Reflex gilet for a year or two now and it's regularly in my back pocket from autumn through to spring. I rarely set out on a ride wearing it - I try to layer up to be comfortable for the majority of the ride without it but then pull it on towards the end of the ride when it starts to get colder and/or darker. It's not breathable but I don't find a build up of sweat to be much of an issue with it - the mesh panels on the sides help a lot with that.

Size wise, I'm 75 kg, 183 cm tall and 39" chest and the large size is a comfortable fit. I've just bought another one in yellow from Halfords as the price was so good.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    The black Reflex has large reflective areas so it's pretty visible at night.

Yeah I used to have one (black Reflex), it was great always got comments at night.

Here's it in use during PBP 2007

picture-006.jpg?w=500&h=747

Have one of these now http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... =3&ID=3078. it's ok, has a mesh back.
    The Sportful Reflex had a better cut
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Just to add my experience, I bought the white sportful gilet from halfords a couple of weeks back, and was a little disappointed by the transparency of the fabric - eg if you are wearing it over a black jersey then it will look rather dull rather than the brilliant white that I was hoping for. The reflective bits also aren't quite as reflective as those on my existing Altura night vision 'safety vest' which the Mrs likes me to wear out on rides... so from a hi vis point of view a bit of a let down although better than nothing.

With that said, the fit is spot on so long as you actually go by the sizing guide given (which makes me XXXL... nice and snug!) and it keeps your body toasty warm and dry in the rain - I can certainly see this going in the jersey pocket for future rides.

Did anyone get it in yellow and want to comment on the visibility?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I think this is actually what lots of people want - the white isnt really white, its clear/opaque - so that people can still see your fancy expensive Assos/Rapha gear underneath it!
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Alas, I wanted a brilliant white to match my Lomo drybag.

Fortunately, I do have a plain white jersey to wear underneath it.
  • sswiss
    sswiss Posts: 354
    R0B75 wrote:
    The reflex jacket is indeed boil in the bag as I have one......For the £14 I paid I'm happy with it.

Pretty much sums my experience, at the price point, I'm not expecting bells and whistles, it's got plenty of hi-viz reflect on it.