who can identify this sportive signage - Kent

forward_loop
forward_loop Posts: 314
I am fed up with sportive organisers and the ilk leaving their signage after events. In the Canterbury area (this may have been a london to paris event) put up about 2 months ago there are A4 signs - in red with black arrows.

Does anyone know which ride these would have been used for - cause they are still here. :x

I want to get in contact with them !

Comments

• sounds like loads of the signs the highways agency put up all over the place. bastards!
  • I am fed up with sportive organisers and the ilk leaving their signage after events. In the Canterbury area (this may have been a london to paris event) put up about 2 months ago there are A4 signs - in red with black arrows.

Does anyone know which ride these would have been used for - cause they are still here. :x

I want to get in contact with them !

A photo would be useful.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Not just in Canterbury mate - they are all along the London - Paris (Kent leg) route!

I seriously think it's about time Sportive organisers were required by law to remove signage immediately after events! There are a couple of junctions in Sittingbourne/Faversham area with multiple arrows.
  • Chrissz wrote:
    Not just in Canterbury mate - they are all along the London - Paris (Kent leg) route!

I seriously think it's about time Sportive organisers were required by law to remove signage immediately after events! There are a couple of junctions in Sittingbourne/Faversham area with multiple arrows.

AFAIK it's actually illegal to have the signs up at all, but it's tolerated because it's temporary. But certainly; any sportive organiser that puts up signs should have a process to take them down again. The council would be within their rights to take them down and charge the organsiers for the work.
  • As an event organiser, I whole heartedly agree with the OP.

Nothing bugs me more than old signs left up after an event. There are still ones left out for a Specialized one from over a year ago ( I phoned the people who shared the logo and they told me there was nothing they could do as it was organised for them by someone else) Then there's the ones that are physically stuck to posts and can't be removed ( Mainly L to P ) and have no name on them at all Grrrrr.

As a company ( Evans) we put our logo, and explanation and my telephone number on every sign. This means that the general public can call me for info on the event and when it's taking place. Which is good communication and stops them being removed.

After the last rider, we send out course strippers to remove all our signage. With the amount we use we don't get 100%, but we do try.

It's in every event organisers favour to remove signs, after all, if we keep leaving them up the general public will get fed up and just remove them as they go up, ruining events.

Dean
  • Hell of Hexham sportive a few weeks ago, one of the 'straight on' signs had ended up pointing to the right, for whatever reason, and a lot of riders went the wrong way. Thankfully I knew the area so ignored it, but several riders who'd overtaken me ended up coming in behind me at the feed stop :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Left over Sportif signs are annoying - its just litter.

I know theres an organiser in the NW who pays a bounty for anyone finding any of his left over arrows.

The Tour and the Giro don't have these problems. They make nice souvenirs and its amazing what you can fit under a rain jacket....
  • Does the likes of the tour use signage? I thought the riders followed the motorcycles who knew the way?
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    Does the likes of the tour use signage? I thought the riders followed the motorcycles who knew the way?

Yes, but ASO install and remove on the day. It's only at certain locations though [hazards etc]
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    deanstacey wrote:

After the last rider, we send out course strippers

Dean

Never seen a course stripper. Perhaps you should send them out during rides. Would make things a lot more interesting.