Quick one on tubeless

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited October 2013 in MTB general
May seem stupid, but if I put tubeless tape on the rim I assume I can still run a tube if I remove the tubeless value?

Comments

• Yes as long as the valve hole is free.
    Its best practise to carry a spare tube when riding if running tubeless for emergencies.
  • ej2320
    That's answered it then
    It will be with a Stans Flow EX rim so it's the non UST or the one that needs rim tape
    Pretty new to this but I assume I can use any tyre, dab a bit of washing up liquid for a temporary seal
    Pop the tyre on 3/4 of the way
    Add sealant
    Pop the rest of the tyre on
    Pump furiously
    Then spread sealant around

And Yea, I would always carry a tube cause I don't want to be fafing with sealant on the trail
  • IME, it's best to use a UST or at least Tubeless ready tyre as the bead is designed to seat properly as a minimum. My preference is Schwalbe Snakeskin tires.

I do carry tubeless repair kit (and Co2 pump) but I also carry a tube because better safe than sorry.

I also find it easiest to pop a tube in (when the tire is new) inflate to about 40psi, leave overnight, deflate, un-seat 1 side of the tire, remove tube, re-fit tire, pour in sealant via the valve (tubeless valves have removable cores) then inflate. I personally just find that to be the easiest way to get tubeless to work. Sounds like a faff, but tbf, once it's done, it can just be forgot about.
  • ej2320
    Cheers for your help, I'll give that method a go.. Saves getting sealant splashed everywhere if I mess it up
    I take what you say about using a UST or Tubeless ready tyre but I've heard because the Stans rims are designed to allow any tyre to go tubeless a Tubeless ready or UST tyre is a slightly smaller diameter meaning it actually seats worse than a standard tyre in a Stans rim.. Whether that's true or not I have no idea but I heard tubeless ready Schwalbe tyres are a nightmare with stans to go tubeless and it's better to use a standard tyre
    FYI I'll be using a 650b Schwalbe Hans Dampf
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    You can get most tyres to work, even wire beaded ones with a bit of effort, like cwnt i've always found Schwalbe tyres to be trouble free, I run Freds, Rons, Nics & HDs - maxxis, specialized & bonty all seem to work well too.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I also find it easiest to pop a tube in (when the tire is new) inflate to about 40psi, leave overnight, deflate, un-seat 1 side of the tire, remove tube, re-fit tire, pour in sealant via the valve (tubeless valves have removable cores) then inflate. I personally just find that to be the easiest way to get tubeless to work. Sounds like a faff, but tbf, once it's done, it can just be forgot about.
    +1 to this.

The tube forces the tyre into the correct shape, it should then go up without any problems. Mine (Conti MK2 and Superstar Sentinel rims) go up with my mini pump!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I have found that Schwalbe tires + Stans rims = much swearing trying to get them on, even with washing up liquid liberally applied to the bead. Although as I say above, once fitted, they have always worked flawlessly for me. The fact they're such a cnut to get on the rim makes them easier to inflate and less prone to burping etc (ime).

One thing I HAVE found with Schwalbe tires though is that the regular tubeless ready ones with standard carcass suffer TERRIBLE roll when run tubeless as the sidewalls are still pretty thin. Don't have that issue with the snakeskin versions though. Not sure if it'd still be a problem for lighter riders.
  • ej2320
    That seems to be the general story on other forums.. Stans + Schwalbe don't get on

As I'll be running 650b my options are slightly limited so it would either be the HDs or Highrollers (Which are about £20 more for a pair)
  • ej2320
    Ok.. I'm a bit of a noob with this

But correct me if I'm wrong but with a Stans ZTR Flow EX rim (29.1 mm width) all I need is

.Rim tape such as this http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=693

.Valves such as these http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=703

.And some stans sealant

Then to set it up using CWNT's method
    Put a tube in and pump to 40 PSI and leave for a night
    Take out the tube and seat the tyre again (Perhaps with a dab of washing up liquid on the side of the bead I removed to get the tube out)
    Remove the valve core and pour the sealant in and mix it around
    Then pump
  • correct.

I'd personally inflate the tire before sloshing the sealant round.

Oh, and if you've not done it before, the sound of the bead seating on the rim will cause you to shlt your pants!

You might find that you need to check the tire periodically at first and pop a bit more air in and slosh the sealant around again. Can take a while for the sealant to fill all those little holes.
  • ej2320
    Yea I was thinking that, last thing I want is sealant everywhere

Haha, ok I'll try not to panic when I hear it

Cheers for all your help, I'm now fairly confident about trying tubeless
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    ej2320 wrote:
    Ok.. I'm a bit of a noob with this

But correct me if I'm wrong but with a Stans ZTR Flow EX rim (29.1 mm width) all I need is

.Rim tape such as this http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=693

.Valves such as these http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=703

.And some stans sealant

Then to set it up using CWNT's method
    Put a tube in and pump to 40 PSI and leave for a night
    Take out the tube and seat the tyre again (Perhaps with a dab of washing up liquid on the side of the bead I removed to get the tube out)
    Remove the valve core and pour the sealant in and mix it around
    Then pump

I have these rims with Conti Xking tyres & REVO sealant. Didn't put a tube in :shock:
    Just put tyre on rim, bit of sealant, pump up and done. Easy as pie
  • ej2320
    Don't worry about the tube thing haha, that's just CWNTs method
    It just gives it a slightly higher success rate, which being a noob will help