Not strictly a beginner but....

ab20000
ab20000 Posts: 89
edited November 2013 in MTB beginners
Just starting to get back into my riding. Previously messed around with a bit of downhill (although never the really tricky stuff) but haven't been doing anything other than few casual summer rides in recent years. I'm looking at getting into singletrack and just riding for fun in the forest at the weekends. Question I have at the moment is am I making life very difficult for myself with my current bike.

It's a 2005 Norco Sasquatch and for what it was previously used for it was awesome, super strong but noticing on the flat and uphill it's heavy and hard work. The 2.35" tyres won't help but it's the weight of the thing that I'm not sure about - it's 16.5kg and compared to XC bikes it's crazy heavy.

So my question is do I
1) Buy a new frame and transfer the parts from mine as although old I like them
2) Carry on as is as it's not going to make too much difference
3) Buy another bike and have two (would have £500 or so to spend)
4) Change some key parts - slimmer tyres etc

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... tch-10411/

Sounds like hard work. I'd look at another bike.

See the sticky at the top of Buying Advice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ab20000
    ab20000 Posts: 89
    That review is quite accurate. I can get up hills it's just harder work than on any other bike I've tried. Might have a look at a 2012 Rock Rider as they seem to be highly rated and only want a hardtail.
  • ab20000 wrote:
    That review is quite accurate. I can get up hills it's just harder work than on any other bike I've tried. Might have a look at a 2012 Rock Rider as they seem to be highly rated and only want a hardtail.

is the right answer
  • Been looking at options and unsure still. Can go for a rock rider which from what I can see is well spec'd for the price or go for a used bike with a great frame and then upgrade parts if and when I improve or they wear out. How does the rock rider frame compare to other 'big' names? I want something that is fast, agile and fun. Another area I've not had to think about is wheel size, I'm 6' 4" so assuming either 27.5 or 29 won't feel too big but would want to try them out. In no rush as happy to haul the Norco around for now.

Any thoughts on the above welcome!