Sportive bike for c£600

apc1
apc1 Posts: 49
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi

Hope you can help. I'm reasonably fit mountain biker mostly but doing TDF from Leeds to Harrogate (over 1.5 days) next year plus another challenge for charity so probably 90 miles max per day bike required with compact gearing.

Not looking to spend too much because will probably sell it on end of next summer to fund next mountain bike!

Got a short list and want to know if carbon forks are more important than a higher group set or vice versa?

Which would be best:
Ribble Sportive 7005 Special Edition which has alu forks but Shimano Tiagra Groupset
or
Specialized Allez Sport 2013 which has carbon forks but sora group set
or
Mekk Pinerolo 1.0 AL which has carbon forks and sora groupset

Will probably sell on Ebay next summer and also need to consider which will get more bids- i.e. will Mekk be well known enough to sell for a good price?

Also any other suggestions?

Look forward to hearing your experienced views!

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'd look more closely at the wheels they come with. I'd also suggest that 600 would get you a far nicer used bike.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Have a look on the Merlin website. They have several "pre stock-taking" bikes on offer with about 50% off RRP.

http://mail.virginmedia.com/mail/?AuthE ... dbd9d74acc

I particularly like the look of the Ridley models. Pretty good spec for the money if you can stretch to £600:-

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/b ... _696625_33
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Are you sure the Ribble had alloy forks?
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Giant defy 4,has carbon forks but runs shimano 2300 with a compact.The frame is where the money goes on this bike.I have one and it is a very good bike for £600.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Felt Z95 from wiggle for £454 then buy some new wheels?
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • Could get mavic aksiums to go with the z95 and have a tidy bike and wheel set for the budget?!
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • The Ribble is a excellent bike it also has Carbon forks not ALU. That is a mistake on the Ribble description. I have one with sora as a winter bike .. Its fast and comfortable.

The Mekk has a excellent frame and Ride. It has been highly rated. but does have entry level r500 wheels. More of a bike to upgrade with over time.

Have a look at the Felt F85 on wiggle too. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f85-tiagra ... exclusive/
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I would definitely buy used when your stated intention is to sell on after a short period of time - with a bit of patience you'll get a much better equipped bike which you can use and sell on for very little loss compared with the hit you are likely to take on a new bike.

Peter
  • northpole wrote:
    I would definitely buy used when your stated intention is to sell on after a short period of time - with a bit of patience you'll get a much better equipped bike which you can use and sell on for very little loss compared with the hit you are likely to take on a new bike.

Peter

I agree. Just noticed OP intentions.

Yeah heres quite a few second hand bikes going at the moment. Probably best.

I guess with a new bike - its fresh and efficient.
  • apc1
    apc1 Posts: 49
    Thanks for all the replys everybody

Yes been looking at second hand but little concerned might need a new chain...... then you end up replacing jockey wheels, cassette, chain rings etc......... and the savings are then not as much as you thought.

If Ribble description is wrong and forks are carbon then that feels like a good option but will take a closer look at the Defy 4 too

I am looking for 50/34 and 11-28 gearing ideally so 11-25 probably has prompted to rule out some.

Thanks again
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I am looking for 50/34 and 11-28 gearing ideally so 11-25 probably has prompted to rule out some.

I suspect the likes of Ribble and some other stores would be happy enough to swap that out free of charge.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • APC1 wrote:
    If Ribble description is wrong and forks are carbon then that feels like a good option but will take a closer look at the Defy 4 too

I dont think Ribbles description is wrong, you just dont realise that the Sportive 7005 comes with carbon forks until you read the full spec list on bikebuilder when you are speccing one up to order.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • As you plan to sell on then it is a no brainer to look at second hand, that should get you a bike in the £1k price bracket no more than 2 years old.

Most of these bikes will have barely been ridden so replacing chains, jockey wheels, chain rings etc should be a non issue. I'd probably look for the likes of a Boardman, Specialized or Giant which were probably bought in the Bradley Wiggins Tour de France hype then chucked up the back of the garage after a few rides.
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    F.Y.I.
    Spec. GIANT DEFY 4 £599.00 (New)
    Sizes
    XS, S, M, M/L, L, XL
    Colours
    White
    Frame
    ALUXX-Grade Aluminium