Problem with Shimano 105 RH Shifter

jacksomd
jacksomd Posts: 49
edited October 2013 in Workshop
I'm having a problem with a Shimano 105 Right Hand shifter and I was wondering if anyone has come across anything similar and can recommend a solution.

The groupset on this bike is on is fairly old - it is a sShimano 105 9spd groupset. The bike has not been ridden for a while but recently I decided to have a go at giving it a maintenace spruce up to use it as a winter bike. One thing I noticed was that the RHS and rear deraileur were not shifting properly - in particular it was not shifting well to larger cogs. After a bit of reading in my Zinn and looking at t'Internet it looked like the cables needed slack taking out of them and this I did. This fixed my initial problem in that the bike now shifted to larger cogs on the rear. Or it did for a couple of clicks but then my main problem started.

What happens now is that if I push the larger lever on the RH shifter inwards it does not click or allow for shifting to larger cogs but instead it just smoothly goes all the way in and nothing happens. In the past, of course I would get three clicks when I pushed the lever all the way in, now I get none. If I push the small lever, the bike still shifts to smaller cogs but nothing happens if I push the larger lever.

Do we think this is a problem with the lever or has something gone totally out of adjustment that the lever is just not working properly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Marcus

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Is the cable OK? Have a look under the lever hood. I've had more than one 105 lever where the cable has "basketed" in the lever
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1 to checking the cable at the lever end. My 10 speed 105 went that way; fortunately I worked out what was going wrong and extracted it before it started to disintegrate properly. And replacing cables on the older shifters is pretty easy.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If I were you, working on an older bike that's been in storage for a while, I'd be stripping out all the cables anyway, particularly if they are not stainless steel.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    keef66 wrote:
    +1 to checking the cable at the lever end. My 10 speed 105 went that way; fortunately I worked out what was going wrong and extracted it before it started to disintegrate properly. And replacing cables on the older shifters is pretty easy.

I should learn to take my own advice. I ignored the slightly crunchy gear change a bit too long and the cable snapped completely this time. Hilly and windy 10 miles home with the thing stuck in the 12t sprocket. Not a fan of this single-speed malarkey! Had to take the bloody lever off the bars before I managed to extract the remains of the nipple plus about 10mm of very frayed cable. Big sigh of relief; thought I'd trashed the thing!