Difference between Road and MTB stems??

Gunnsie
Gunnsie Posts: 171
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I have been looking at FSA stems and have seen a few on eBay, but in the title is says MTB. I can't tell the difference these ones and ones I've seen in shops etc in the road bike sections. Is there a reason they are titled as MTB ones, or would they be fine on a roadbike?

The one I was looking at is the same as this one, but not EUR99.90, it's £14: - http://www.thebikeshop.de/OS-99-team-green

Cheers!

Chris

Comments

• MTB and Road will often have different sized handlebar clamps. There is a difference between road bikes too so make sure you know your handlebar and headtube sizes.
  • Gunnsie
    MTB and Road will often have different sized handlebar clamps. There is a difference between road bikes too so make sure you know your handlebar and headtube sizes.

Right.... well I'm pretty sure my handle bar is 31.8mm (same as the clamp of stem in question), so would this be ok on my road bike even though it's titled as MTB? Would it get frowned apon by the road bike elite?
  • Gunnsie wrote:
    MTB and Road will often have different sized handlebar clamps. There is a difference between road bikes too so make sure you know your handlebar and headtube sizes.

Right.... well I'm pretty sure my handle bar is 31.8mm (same as the clamp of stem in question), so would this be ok on my road bike even though it's titled as MTB? Would it get frowned apon by the road bike elite?

Yeah should be as long as the headset size is the same too. And how would the road bike elite be able to tell the difference?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    MTB and road stems used to be different at 25.4mm and 26.0mm but have pretty well standardised on 31.8mm for a number of years. MTB stems tend to be shorter with a 90 degree angle for those running wider, riser bars whereas road stems are typically 80-120mm with a 6/84 'flippable' angle. TBH it doesn't make much difference as long as you get the bars in the optimum position for a good fit, although if you need <80mm for road, it probably tells you you're frame's too big and likewise >130mm, frame's too small unless you're Roelandt's
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Gunnsie
    I'd be looking to get a 110mm, so somewhere in the middle!
    This is the decription of the one mentioned (in German, but can be deciferred quite easily): -

•3K Carbon-Gewebe im CSI-Verfahren ewickelt.
    •Material: AL7050.
    •Alu-Carbon Klemmplatte.
    •Ø 31,8 mm.
    •Einbauhöhe 41mm.
    •+/- 6° (Flip-Flop).
    •Weight: 122 g (110 mm).
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Should be fine if the numbers match. The main difference in mtb/road specific stems is often non-flippable graphics, but it has no effect on their function. Cf. some Deda road stems and Thomson mtb stems.
  • Gunnsie
    Excellent... cheers Guys!!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Shape and strength basically

Shape - as Monty says

Strength - You ll be fine with an MTB Stem on a roadie, but it ll maybe be a few grams heavier and the graphics will be a bit less european, but I would nt use a road stem on an MTB (see Hincapie, G at Paris-Roubaix)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I've got a Thomson X4 on my road bike. It's a bit chunky but it looks ok and works well. The main reason was it offered a zero degree rise. Would like an X2 but just not very flexible in my old age.