Rear lights for seat stays advice!!!

lucyh78
lucyh78 Posts: 2
edited November 2013 in Commuting general
Hello all,

First post here so bear with me! I started commuting in July and I am loving it. However I have an issue with my rear light now I'm riding in the dark in the mornings (and evenings) now the hour has changed I need something brighter than my Bontrager Ember (which is great in low light but need something bigger). However I need something that will attach to the seat stays rather than my seat post. Basically I have no room to attach on the seat post due to my seat being low, my reflector (which obviously needs to stay put) and my Crud mudguard. :shock: My current light is basically attached to the top of the mudguard but it is far from ideal.

So please can folks advise on a rear light with a fixing that can go on the seat stay. I may be being totally dense in that most light mountings will adjust to stay put on the seat stay, but as a newbie whose last real experience of bike lights was 1980s Ever Readys (!!!) I need a little help.

Thanks all :D

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I add a Cateye Strada 3 to my seat stay.
  • I had a Fibre Flare attached to my seat stay last winter, may be worth a look.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    niterider lights come with seatstay mounts i think
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    You can get lights with built in reflectors - might be an option in place of the reflector.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I use a Cateye TL-LD1100 mounted to the offside rear fork and a Lezyne Zecto on the loop on my SQR bag (but could just as well be the seat post).

Just a thought.
  • I've got a Moon gem 2 on my seatstay - USB rechargeable, rubber strap mount which is easily adjustable, and the light itself can be angled up and down to suit. I used to have a fibre flare which was good, but not as waterproof as the moon.
  • I use a Cateye RapidX when I want one on my seat stays, it pretty much lights up the whole wheel.

IMG_4052_zpsb7e8f86e.jpg
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    Smart lunar r2

Cheap and fits perfect also its got some right groovy flash patterns.
  • Cupras wrote:
    Smart lunar r2

Seconded, v bright and comes with fittings to go on a belt, seat post or stay
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Cupras wrote:
    Smart lunar r2

how are they when it is wet?

I had a smart light a few years back and even in the lightest rain it would fail.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Cupras wrote:
    Smart lunar r2

how are they when it is wet?

I had a smart light a few years back and even in the lightest rain it would fail.
    Mine has been fine so far. My cateye however not so good.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Just put some electrical tape around the join - it keeps the wet out ...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    +1 for the R2.

Just take the back off (as if you were changing the battery) and put some vaseline around the rubber seal. I've always done this and never had a Smart light go dodgy in the rain.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    +1 for Moon Gem.

I also have one which I put on my helmet, or the inside seatstay depending on my mood.
  • mattgeezer
    mattgeezer Posts: 1,805
    Moon 60 or comet if you want to be seen!
    Allez 2013
    Pitch 2011
    GT Moto 2003
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    my setup
    cateye TL-LD600 on seatpost and a fibre flare on each seat stay. The spoke reflectors glove red when moving from the fibre flares too.

Photo07-11-2013211536_zps5b0a01a2.jpg