Gear/Brake cable kits?

glasgowbhoy
glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Seems to be quite a few options. What's the best value on a mechanical set up? need both inner and outers

Comments

• markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Gore ride on.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • A lot of people mention that the Gore cables eventually get bunged up with the Teflon coating but I've only just fitted them so can't comment yet. Good value here though:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/gore ... -prod24809
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I've had excellent results with Transfil cables to replace both Shimano and Campag originals. Much cheaper than the originals, work just as well, available as full kits or separate inners and outers, widely available from Wiggle etc at a good price.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Campag kits are actually good value for what they are, for Campag I rarely bother using anything else as they don't cost that much.

Shimano/Sram if you want to keep it cheap just get some Clarks or something from a bike shop all cut to length, this can be the best value way of doing it if you have ferrules you need lying around or the shop will chuck you a handful out of their jars. Jagwire tempt people with lots of marketing blurb and quite low prices on their pro kits, but they are nothing to shout about. Good basic cables kept clean, maybe with a drop of Rock n Roll Cable Magic run down them do a perfectly good job most times.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Gore Ride On cables....... If you can find the ones that you want; I believe that Gore have discontinued them now.

I've got them on my MTB and road bikes, they're great. The set that are on my MTB have been on there for several years without fault. The set that's on my road bike has been on there for two years with out need for adjustment.

I've never had an issue with Teflon bunging them up, and as mentioned, I've had the same set on my MTB for years. Generally the only time that people have issues is when they install them incorrectly, or lube them; they should be installed dry and not lubed.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got Gore Ride On brake cables on the SS and apart from adjusting for brake pad wear they have been faultless in the 4 years I've used them. I've got the same on the Kaffenback with discs and happy to report the same since April. I've gone for cheaper gear cable options as I can change a gear cable quite easy compared to brake cables.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Cheers folks, I was looking at the Gore Ride on cabling but it seems that no one has it in black anymore.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Cheers folks, I was looking at the Gore Ride on cabling but it seems that no one has it in black anymore.

Here's the sealed gear cables;
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.iceProductID=CGRO0001KK&gclid=CMzV35XJuboCFTMctAod3FQABw
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved