Russell Brand vs Jeremy Paxman

seanoconn
seanoconn Posts: 11,318
edited November 2013 in The cake stop
Just had a chance to this see. Apologies if its been posted elsewhere.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3YR4CseY9pk

A brief smack addiction might have it's merits. Brilliant.
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Got any vids of either Klitchko vs Russell Brand? :twisted:
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    seanoconn wrote:
    Just had a chance to this see. Apologies if its been posted elsewhere.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3YR4CseY9pk

A brief smack addiction might have it's merits. Brilliant.

I'm sure it helped him cope at the time,it's nice to see him so awake in that interview.
  • I enjoyed the video and agree with most of what Russell has to say.

What he's actually saying is not anything new, tired old hippies and academics that hate Britain have been saying this for years.

To his credit though, he is very eloquent and communicates his points well. A lot of what he said in the interview is in his article over on the New Statesman.

Linky: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... revolution
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    There's no vs.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Surely one of the most irritating people on the planet...
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    He had a few good points about modern communications, house of commons, tax evasion. Good parable about Paxmans relatives too.

Easy to say though, without any definitive solutions. Heavily tax corporations, destory city bonuses, they all go to other countries.
  • Mikey23
    The guy is a complete fruitcake. Tired old prejudice spouted as drug fuelled cliches, all froth and no substance. It reminded me of conversation you might hear amongst winos round a brazier underneath a bridge in most city centres. I suspect that one day, the poor guy will OD himself...
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Mikey23 wrote:
    The guy is a complete fruitcake. Tired old prejudice spouted as drug fuelled cliches, all froth and no substance. It reminded me of conversation you might hear amongst winos round a brazier underneath a bridge in most city centres. I suspect that one day, the poor guy will OD himself...

I get the idea that you don't like what he says, but I don't think making libelous remarks is the right way to go about discrediting him, he last took drugs 10 years ago.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Mikey23 wrote:

most of the tired cliche on here is spouted by tory windbags like you. :D

no offence
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    His key point is that the rules are written to suit those who write the rules which is in essence correct.
    As long as the masses aren't being completely done over they'll remain largely compliant. Throughout the boom years all was well. After 5 years of static wages and huge rises in cost of living and the idea of civil unrest is still a little way off but getting ever closer. Don't be foolish enough to think people would accept the recent trajectory of increasing wealth disparity indefinitely. There would be a tipping point at which talk of bankers leaving would not stop significant change being required to avoid civil unrest.
    As it is, looks like some sort of economic recovery is underway so everyone will soon be able to afford the latest smartphone again. Then such sentiments expressed by Brand will again be very marginal opinions.
  • seanoconn
    Articulate, eloquent and striking a chord with a disillusioned populace. Tony Benn on speed. Ace :D
  • Mikey23
    @faf... None taken. Tired Tory claptrap is my speciality

@t47b... Ok, I confess I don't keep up with his personal life. There is just something about him that winds me up and if he ain't on some substance during that interview, I'll eat my Margaret thatcher poster
  • Mikey23
    ... And he does seem to have done rather well out of the system he despises
  • morstar
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Catch 22 though isn't it. You only get a voice if you are successful, once successful, how can you claim to represent the downtrodden?
  • Mikey23
    Erm, through the vote?

I agree with most of what he says about the state of the world.. I was just taken aback by the way he just ranted it out in a kind of avalanche of cliche. I liked paxmans wry smile and gentle prodding which made him and his arguments look rather stupid and he knew it. I admit that I'm old fashioned but I have always believed that the vote is the most important democratic freedom we have. Millions have died so that we are able to express our political beliefs without persecution and people that diss it in that kind of way stick in my craw
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Mikey23 wrote:

That's a bit of a p1ss poor and weak comment. So what are you saying? Anyone who is successful forfeits the right to criticize the 'system'. Sounds a bit 'well f**k you Jack I'm alright'. I'm not his biggest fan but we always need people who are willing to put their head above the parapet, right or wrong. Or would you rather live in a world where every person that does well just wants to pull up the ladder on those that are behind them?
  • Mikey23
    ... But having said that, if he is taking over the editorship of some politically based magazine or whatever the article was about, then he must have some convictions about the world and be prepared to put his money where his mouth is and do something about it, so I may have misjudged him...
  • morstar
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Erm, through the vote?[\quote]

Considering his argument is that democracy doesn't work...

I assume that remark is a joke!
  • Mikey23
    @cb... Don't rush me, I'm getting there!
    Just expressing some thoughts and trying to put aside my distaste for the man in order to focus on his message and his motivations... And hopefully to change my viewpoint
  • Mikey23
    @morstar... Yes, an attempt at irony
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Moaning and calling for anarchy is easy.
    Students have been doing it for decades.

When someone comes up with the viable alternative, then I'll listen.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    The system he laments so much won years ago. Morstar alluded to it but maybe not in strong enough terms...people are hooked on the latest technology, cheap clothes made by some other poor bastard, social media and the cult of celebrity..including a Mr. R Brand.
  • morstar
    Mikey23 wrote:
    @morstar... Yes, an attempt at irony
    Must...use...emoticons...
  • Mikey23
    But he argues if I'm correct, that the the proletariat are about to rise up and sweep all that away?
  • Mikey23
    @m... Slaps wrist. I rarely use emoticons as I like to post stuff that is ambiguous. Except when I want to be clear that I'm not insulting someone. As a general rule 99% of the time I'm taking the puss, usually out of myself! the other 1% I'm up on my high horse and deserving to be knocked off...
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    The system he laments so much won years ago. Morstar alluded to it but maybe not in strong enough terms...people are hooked on the latest technology, cheap clothes made by some other poor bastard, social media and the cult of celebrity..including a Mr. R Brand.

Yes, very true.
  • morstar
    Mikey23 wrote:
    @m... Slaps wrist. I rarely use emoticons as I like to post stuff that is ambiguous. Except when I want to be clear that I'm not insulting someone. As a general rule 99% of the time I'm taking the puss, usually out of myself! the other 1% I'm up on my high horse and deserving to be knocked off...
    I can relate to that. I own a very high horse. Frequently I sound like I'm on it even when I'm not.
  • ballysmate
    Having sat through that 10 minute diatribe. One big yawn.

Yawn.gif
  • seanoconn
    Ballysmate wrote:

Yawn.gif
    A big yawn? Or an excuse to play with your new selection of emoticons? :wink:
  • ballysmate
    seanoconn wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Yawn.gif
    A big yawn? Or an excuse to play with your new selection of emoticons? :wink:

Not a slur on your original post at all. Suffice to say, for a comedian that is the funniest that I have seen him.
    Just that he went through the same formulaic list. Bankers, rich Yanks, Cameron & Osbourne, wealth disparity, drug dependency ... Heard it all before.
    The one exception was the rejection of democracy. If anyone from right of centre had suggested such a thing, people would be up in arms.
    It is also a bit rich for someone making a very nice living bleating about wealth disparity. (Pun intended)

As regards the emoticons, they are a novelty for me. :oops: and I will admit to being impressed by your recent 'Village People'
    Bravo :lol: