How bad is to bad?

matt581
matt581 Posts: 219
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
So with the harsh winds predicted for Monday morning, 50+ gusts in the south west. Are people still commuting?

I have no option but to ride but was just hoping for a reassurance i'm not a freaking idiot (more then normal) and other people will be out?

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    It'll be a 50mph tailwind for me so I'm not concerned ;D

The rain might put me off though, I think I'l see how hard it's raining in the morning. I do a park and ride so I can always take the bike and just carry on to work if necessary.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Trouble with high winds (we get a lot in the Highlands) isn't the wind itself but the gusts. A sudden gust can blow you off track and that's not good in heavy traffic. I'd stick to quiet roads or leave the bike a home.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Not forgetting fallen branches getting tangled up in wheels and mudguards, large fragments of tree in the road, bits falling on you.
  • unixnerd wrote:
    Trouble with high winds .... isn't the wind itself but the gusts. A sudden gust can blow you off track and that's not good in heavy traffic.

Second that. My normal commute is all coast road, so can get some pretty nasty gusts by slipways and around headlands that will blow you 6 ft sideways before you even know what's happened.

That said, last time I took an inland route because of the wind I ended up having to climb through a tree and digging a Land Rover out of a snow drift! :shock: