Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0

Heatwave48
Heatwave48 Posts: 13
edited February 2015 in Your road bikes
Arrived on time and from what I hear that is quite uncommon from Canyon but I couldn't be happier with their customer service.

Pretty proud about how well the bottle cages match. Really love how the blue looks in person.

10497354653_b1af60bff7_b.jpg
10496762804_048e69a264_b.jpg
10496927383_66e586b789_b.jpg
10496939283_7c6655f104_b.jpg

Ultegra 6800
Mavic Kysirium Elite S WTS
Fizik Antares
Ritchey Bar and Stem
Look Keo 2 Max
58cm

Lovely Ride

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    First blue one I've seen. Looks like it means business. How is the Ultegra 11 speed?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Looks tasty in that colour.
  • Wobbit
    Wobbit Posts: 91
    Been perving on these for a while, looks good! Im mighty tempted by the one with the deep section mavics
    Neilpryde Alize - Kinesis 4S - Cube Ltd
  • Avit5
    Avit5 Posts: 114
    Heatwave48 - Splendid looking bike. I am torn between this one and the canyon ultimate al slx di2 (new 11 speed). Both roughly the same price. It's either carbon and mechanical or alu and electronic.
    Would certainly be interested in a report on your bike once you get a few miles on it. Also how tall are you? Looks like you have your seatpost fairly high compared to bars.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Wobbit wrote:
    Been perving on these for a while, looks good! Im mighty tempted by the one with the deep section mavics

OP, nice bike.

Wobbit, yes that one looks superb!
  • Allza
    Allza Posts: 31
    Looks lovely! You just need to remove that rear disc on the cassette! Would like to ride this and see how it compares to the slx
  • I'd suggest moving the saddle forward a tad and exposing a bit more seatpost
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Yeah apologies for not removing the disc, currently don't have all my tools with me.

Avit5: I'm 187cm with some long legs but some equally long arms so the position feels fine. Weather has been pretty wet where I am so haven't had anytime to go further than 20 miles but i can tell you it is a dream going up hills.

Yellow Peril: My older bike has a Shimano 2300 triple so the ultegra is just unbelievable compared to it. Front shifting is unnervingly quick and at times. The trim feature is good but takes a little time to get used to. The biggest thing in my opinion is the braking, very, very good.

SloppySchleckonds: Was that meant to be a snide remark at my set up?
  • ........Canyon bikes.....getting better each time I look! Nice.
  • Avit5
    Heatwave48 wrote:
    Avit5: I'm 187cm with some long legs but some equally long arms so the position feels fine. Weather has been pretty wet where I am so haven't had anytime to go further than 20 miles but i can tell you it is a dream going up hills./quote]

That's interesting that you have a 58cm frame then as I am slighter smaller than you at 185cm tall but with very long logs of 92cm inseam and the Canyon PPS puts me on a 60cm frame. Did you use the PPS to size the bike ?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    very smart...
  • Avit5 wrote:
    That's interesting that you have a 58cm frame then as I am slighter smaller than you at 185cm tall but with very long logs of 92cm inseam and the Canyon PPS puts me on a 60cm frame. Did you use the PPS to size the bike ?

Yeah I did use PPS and it seems you are pretty close to the boundary between the two. If it helps here is the rest of my sizing.

Body height: 187
    Inseam: 89
    Body weight: 69
    Shoulder width: 46
    Arm length: 66
    Torso length: 68

With those long legs and presumably short body there would be a lot of drop on a 58. However you might be reaching pretty far on a 60.
  • Avit5
    Heatwave48 wrote:
    Avit5 wrote:

Yeah I did use PPS and it seems you are pretty close to the boundary between the two. If it helps here is the rest of my sizing.

With those long legs and presumably short body there would be a lot of drop on a 58. However you might be reaching pretty far on a 60.

Rather than a large drop on a 58 i was going to swap the stem for a shorter one to shorten the reach on the 60. I know Canyon will allow you to swap the stems at time of purchase or to swap once bike has been delivered for FOC.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Heatwave48 wrote:

The amount of seat post showing in the photo suggests your inseam is longer than 89cm. Have you measured it correctly ?
  • I wrote this is the SLX thread as well but I was wondering if anybody was intending to order any Canyon bike, would they offer to kindly order me a cap for the CF SLX stem, and a chain catcher as part of their order?

I received my CF SLX a few weeks ago and assumed the cap came as part of the bike, and ordering one off the website incurs a £10 shipping fee. The cost of the cap is £10.95, and the chain catcher is £12.70. I am happy to pay this in full and £5 for postage costs to send it to me, and the inconvenience. If somebody was kind enough to order one for me as part of their order I would be very grateful, and will pay via bank transfer/paypal gift.

Thank you very much in advance,
    James
  • This is the exact bike I'm almost certainly going to order before the weekend, so really pleased you've posted some pictures. I really like the Stealth that Canyon do in the SLX but unfortunately not in the SL and I don't really like the white seat/grips on the alternative black they offer for this model.... yours looks stunning in grey though and a bit different from the rest of the Canyons!

Its just a shame that I've procrastinated for so long the delivery times are now January for the large...
  • The amount of seat post showing in the photo suggests your inseam is longer than 89cm. Have you measured it correctly

Yeah the seatpost was set up by eye and has been lowered since the picture was taken.

Awesome ride so far.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    Very nice in that colour 8) and as usual, much better than the pics on the Canyon website.

Just need to get shot of the 'dork disc'. :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • How are you getting on with the bike? Currently looking at this and the SL. Be interested to hear your thoughts.
  • Sarah79
    Sarah79 Posts: 3
    Heatwave - I'm looking at ordering this same bike in the next couple of weeks (your pics do it so much more justice than on their website). Now you've had chance to ride the bike are you happy with it? And where did you get those bottle cages from? They finish the bike off nicely!
  • Great bike, noticeably very stiff and light making it perfect for climbing. Shifting is great and wheels are good as you would expect. Pretty aggressive geometry though so make sure you get the sizing right, but I'm quite flexible so I like the fit (not the same as it was in the picture). My only problem with the bike is the paint scratches a bit too easily so needs to be stored carefully. Bottle cages from wiggle http://bit.ly/1gmk8SE
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Wow you may of just sold this colour to me, looks much better in your pics. Did it come with enough steerer to make it less aggressive if you wanted? Not really sure I'm that flexible.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • Sarah79
    Heatwave48 - Thanks for replying :) . I do a lot of climbing so that's good to know. The PPS sizing tool puts me at the top end of the 53cm frame. I'm used to riding a Specialized Allez Sport so it does concern me a bit that the set up may be a bit too aggressive though. Is it something you can get used to? I'm not very knowledgeable and don't have much experience with bikes, if I do find it too aggressive is it possible to make adjustments? Shame about the paint job, thanks for the heads up.
  • The compact comes with 25mm of spacers for steerer and the standard chainrings come with 15mm. I say aggressive because they market it as a 'sport pro' geometry, but I got a smaller frame than my Allez beforehand so the front end is even lower for me. I'd compare the geometry's (particularly the stack height) of the two bikes and see how you feel and maybe speak to canyon, they seem pretty helpful.
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    Sarah79 wrote:
    Heatwave48 - Thanks for replying :) . I do a lot of climbing so that's good to know. The PPS sizing tool puts me at the top end of the 53cm frame. I'm used to riding a Specialized Allez Sport so it does concern me a bit that the set up may be a bit too aggressive though. Is it something you can get used to? I'm not very knowledgeable and don't have much experience with bikes, if I do find it too aggressive is it possible to make adjustments? Shame about the paint job, thanks for the heads up.

I have both an Ultimate CF and an Allez Sport and have the same frame size for both bikes (58). I don't find the Canyon too aggressive.

The best thing to do about sizing is email your dimensions to Canyon and ask for advice, I got a call from one of their fella's in Germany and we spoke about my riding style etc and he told me which frame size he thought I should get. And he got it spot on.

The PPS is a useful guide but a small margin such as a couple of cm's could end up pushing you up or down a frame size. So it's best to speak to Canyon directly as they're the experts.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    .....The PPS is a useful guide but a small margin such as a couple of cm's could end up pushing you up or down a frame size. So it's best to speak to Canyon directly as they're the experts.
    I wouldn't call a couple of cm a small margin! Did you mean mm?
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    Ai_1 wrote:
    .....The PPS is a useful guide but a small margin such as a couple of cm's could end up pushing you up or down a frame size. So it's best to speak to Canyon directly as they're the experts.
    I wouldn't call a couple of cm a small margin! Did you mean mm?

I meant cm's. The PPS doesn't accept mm's so you can't be that accurate. And certain people will find themselves on the border between 2 frame sizes so changing by 1 or 2 cm's makes a huge difference.

e.g. I'm slightly over 6ft tall, putting my height in at 184cm had me on a 56 frame, if I moved it to 185cm it switched to a 58 frame.

Which made me uncertain about what size to go for, so I spoke to Canyon about it.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Okay I ride an Allez now, with a few spacers at the moment, so I should get on okay. I'm planning to work on my flexibility and core in the next few months anyway. I currently ride a 58 Allez, which is deffo small for me , I'm 194cm. Surely if I get the right size in the canyon, I'll have better luck with position.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • Sarah79
    Cheers for the input guys. I emailed Canyon last week and they said to go for the small, I was just a bit concerned about the geometry but after being in touch with them again they've reassured me it'll be fine. Placed the order this morning :D . Just got to wait 2 months till delivery now :( Can't wait!
  • This is the same bike I'm after. Using their measuring system I should get a 58, but the geometry of the 60 looks a better fit. The top tube of the 60 matches my Giant tcr. I have a longer torso.
    Rose X-Lite CRS 3100
    Focus Cayo AL