Special New Steel Frame and Forks for 40th Birthday - Which

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Sorry its me again being all indecisive. Money is an issue but if it was not what would you do? I don't race I just love bikes and mainly ride on my own for pleasure and to keep physically and mentally fit. I want a steel bike that will be a keeper hence the custom option seemed a good idea originally but now I am less convinced. I think all of these will build up into a good bike but what I want is a great bike that's a bit different.

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    This is a strange way of deciding which bike you want to buy that's a "keeper" - letting someone else pick it for you?!
  • bmxboy10
    Im not doing that i just like to see what others would do. I already have my preferences just need a bit of encouragement from the forum.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    If I was being sensible then I'd get an Enigma.

OTOH I like the look of the Tommasini Fire (not a fan of lugged frames)

Whats the waiting list like for a rourke?

I wouldnt buy a shand or genesis since they're a bit too laid back.
  • bmxboy10
    rourke will be about 6 months
  • Again? Is this not been discussed last week?
    left the forum March 2023
  • bmxboy10
    Again? Is this not been discussed last week?

kind of but not as a poll. is this against the rules all of a sudden?
  • solboy10 wrote:
    Again? Is this not been discussed last week?

kind of but not as a poll. is this against the rules all of a sudden?

No, but I thought we had it settled on the Tommasini... now we have to start all over again... :roll:
  • bmxboy10
    yeah still likely to go for it just wanted to do this before i put the deposit down plus i have a visit to enigma still arranged this week as i want to see the Elite in the flesh just in case.
  • The Primato is 1150 including the fork? Mmhhh... 8)
  • bmxboy10
    The Primato is 1150 including the fork? Mmhhh... 8)
    yes with my Wiggle discount :D
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Buy a Llewellyn, then you get a trip to Australia as well!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    I can't comment on the rest but I tried to buy a Shand online and it was a thoroughly miserable experience as a distance buyer, only go with them if you are actually able to visit them.
  • What about a Condor Super Acciaco , thats what i am getting next week when i visit Condor in London .
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    oh for gords sake, another poll ...
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    can I vote even if I wouldn't buy any of them :roll:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • bmxboy10
    giant man wrote:

Please keep the helpful comments coming especially when they are soooo predictable.... :lol:
  • bmxboy10
    maddog 2 wrote:
    can I vote even if I wouldn't buy any of them :roll:
    What would be on your list? I am interested as if it were not for NAPD and UGO I would not be looking at the Tomassini so if you have any suggestions....
  • bmxboy10
    What about a Condor Super Acciaco , thats what i am getting next week when i visit Condor in London .
    Looked at these but not really doing it for me mainly is with custom paint its the same price as the Tommasini and between these two at that price point there is no competition really IMO. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    solboy10 wrote:
    giant man wrote:

Please keep the helpful comments coming especially when they are soooo predictable.... :lol:
    well look what you're doing. you're asking for opinions based on nothing aren't you. How many people have been on all these steel bikes, the material of which is going to vary from model to model, and can give a true valued opinion?

Answer, nobody. So what it really comes down to is which is the prettiest one, and how much is it. Budget and looks. Which to me is a blind buy. You need to get some test rides on some of these, to determine which one YOU prefer. Steel is a great material for a bike, but different steels give a different ride of course. A little like titanium which varies depending on the grade, understandably so. But with steel, you have that many more different types available.

If it were me, I would go and try something that is within my budget, and see what you think. Then I would compare it with others of a different type of steel. This is the only way to choose what's going to be right. There are no shortcuts, do your homework and you will come away with a steel bike that you are going to enjoy for years to come imo.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I'm interested as to why you have left the Colnago Master off, beautiful bikes to ride and with the classic Gilco Tubing it doesn't just look like another steel bike.

Seen some photo's of the Tommasini Tecno and they do look lovely, now sure I like the raised parts for the entry and exit to the Rear Brake cable on the top tube and on a couple the paint looked a little orange peely, the lug work does look really cool though.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The master being now over 2 grand is probably a good reason!

If I was spending over 2k I'd want stainless custom with a custom paint job.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I know what you mean Nap about Stainless but then to me it wouldn't be a classic steel bike.

I'd love a 953 or Columbus equivalent but for a classic ride it would have to be something really special with history.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Unfortunately, as much as I love Colnago, they are really taking the pi55 with the master's pricing...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bmxboy10
    NapoleonD wrote:
    The master being now over 2 grand is probably a good reason!

If I was spending over 2k I'd want stainless custom with a custom paint job.

Spot on as normal. I know I said if money was no issue but to have a bike worth more than my car and to spend £2k on a frame too me is a bit nuts.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    How do you want it to ride, stiff like current carbon bikes or with that old-school steel nice springiness/horrible flexiness (delete according to taste/riding style). Are you bothered about weight? Would you want lugs for the looks even if they added weight? Steel fork too or carbon? Do you need custom geometry?

Lots of different options, so you need to do a lot of research and work out what is best for you. IMO people talk too much about lugs, polishing and paint jobs in relation to steel bikes and not enough about tubing options. Tubing diameter will probably make the biggest difference to the ride in terms of stiffness/flexiness. Fancy high end steels like 953 and XCR are stronger so allow thinner walls and hence lighter weight. Steel bikes can have massively different ride qualities depending on these things.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Cherubim if money no obstacle
  • solboy10 wrote:
    What about a Condor Super Acciaco , thats what i am getting next week when i visit Condor in London .
    Looked at these but not really doing it for me mainly is with custom paint its the same price as the Tommasini and between these two at that price point there is no competition really IMO. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Two very diffrent frames imo The condor has the modern Tapered headtube with oversize tubing throughout and a BB30 its these features that really do it for me as for that Tommasini sheer class in the looks dept but still old skool in tube shapes and lugs etc etc
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Also tube diameters affect ride just as much as the grade of steel. You can have a flexy skinny tube steel frame or a stiff steel frame, you can have one with quite relaxed geometry or one which will put you in a proper race position.

You can have one with proper mudguard mounts and clearance for wide tyres or the exact opposite. Ultimatley the brand is not important here, the grade of steel and the exact specification will be. If the same spec (geometry/material/tube diameters) were replicated exactly by two different frame builders they would feel exactly the same.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Mercian is where I would be looking for a custom steel build. Long waiting list though.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    solboy10 wrote:
    Sorry its me again being all indecisive. Money is an issue but if it was not what would you do? I don't race I just love bikes and mainly ride on my own for pleasure and to keep physically and mentally fit. I want a steel bike that will be a keeper hence the custom option seemed a good idea originally but now I am less convinced. I think all of these will build up into a good bike but what I want is a great bike that's a bit different.

You've said money is not an issue. If I was looking for a traditional, custom made steel frame I'd go for a Legend Sella Ronda. Hand made by Marco Bertoletti.

http://www.legendfactory.eu/Collection2 ... fault.aspx