David Millar announces retirement after 2014 season.

12346»

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    I'm about to go down the shops where the sell bread for er... the price of a loaf of bread.

At current (let alone projected) energy prices, that extra 15 min in the oven alone probably cost you a fiver more...
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Think the general rule is take off 15/20 degrees for a fan oven.

Probably true OCDuPalais. Thought I'd give it a go as I hate the fact most bread has those diglicerides of fatty acids etc. Just had a couple of slices of peanut butter on toast. Tasted alright but a bit heavy.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

Probably true OCDuPalais. Thought I'd give it a go as I hate the fact most bread has those diglicerides of fatty acids etc. Just had a couple of slices of peanut butter on toast. Tasted alright but a bit heavy.
    Evil experimental stuff. Best avoided. But GM rice which keeps 20% of the planet alive is the Devil's seed :roll:

I had the heavy texture problem at first too. It took a few weeks to build-up my kneading technique. In the meantime you can try a lighter dough mixing in 25% sourdough or buckwheat. Good baking.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224

You do realise that you've just gone to the trouble of baking your own bread in order to avoid diglycerides and then spread it with the foodstuff most commonly containing diglycerides...!?
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    edited October 2013
    Heavy mena
    By the way rayjay. I give up. I can't be arsed to read through all the times you've interpreted Millar's behaviour as underhand, hypocritical or deceptive when I have thought he's been pretty straight up and I'm not going to go and read through all his historical statements and comments. You obviously feel he's a complete fraud and I feel that he's a decent guy. I think it all comes down to the interpretation of someones behaviour. I like the guy, but not enough to piece together a defence for him on a forum. Also I can't be arsed to look up and quote some of your awful posts that made me call you autistic. I'm going to just leave the conversation without explanation or apology, just like that.

I have bigger problems today. My first attempt at baking bread has been unsuccessful. I took it out of the oven and let it cool and then sliced it to find it was still very doughy. I stuck it back in the oven and am waiting to see if the extra 15 minutes has sorted it. In the meantime I've bought a baking thermometer off ebay which could take up to a month to arrive from china but was significantly cheaper than the alternatives. My carrot cake attempt last week was also undercooked and I'm blaming my fan oven for browning off the top before the cake/bread is fully done inside. A very frustrating experience given the cost of some of the ingredients. Now I'm going to roast some veg for dinner and maybe serve with a friend egg. It's been that kind of day.

Autistic No excuse. :oops: :oops: :oops: Shame on you. http://www.autism.org.uk/ maybe you will learn something . It is that kind of remark that causes prejudice. You don't even understand what you should apologise for :(
  • heavymental
    OCDuPalais wrote:

You do realise that you've just gone to the trouble of baking your own bread in order to avoid diglycerides and then spread it with the foodstuff most commonly containing diglycerides...!?

Ha. Yeh I did wonder about that but my peanut butter only contains peanuts and vegetable oil. Not any dodgy manufactured fatty muck. Am I wrong? I thought peanut butter wasn't a bad toast option?
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Ha. Yeh I did wonder about that but my peanut butter only contains peanuts and vegetable oil. Not any dodgy manufactured fatty muck. Am I wrong? I thought peanut butter wasn't a bad toast option?

Nowt wrong with peanut butter, just dont buy the heavily processed rubbish.
  • heavymental
    I buy tescos own which I've just noticed has only 91% peanuts. I'm sure it used to be more. A bit of googling and it seems it's quite straight forward to make your own peanut butter. Might give that a go.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    rayjay wrote:
    Autistic No excuse. :oops: :oops: :oops: Shame on you. http://www.autism.org.uk/ maybe you will learn something . It is that kind of remark that causes prejudice. You don't even understand what you should apologise for :(
    Did you even realise that by taking the word "autistic" as being automatically offensive in some way (which it isn't), you were actually displaying exactly the type of prejudice you're now complaining about? And you have the cheek to tell other people they don't understand? Idiot.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    This thread = Bike Radar at it's best.

Peanut butter, autism - all on a thread about David Millar retiring. Brilliant :lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    This thread = Bike Radar at it's best.

Peanut butter, autism - all on a thread about David Millar retiring. Brilliant :lol:
    I did get a bit confused when the minutia of bread making was being discussed.
  • rayjay
    adr82 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    Did you even realise that by taking the word "autistic" as being automatically offensive in some way (which it isn't), you were actually displaying exactly the type of prejudice you're now complaining about? And you have the cheek to tell other people they don't understand? Idiot.

Perhaps you should go back and see the context in which the word autistic was used. It was used as an insult.
    it was not a compliment and this was confirmed when HM repeated the word in a follow up post.
    I'm hope, unlike HM, you have the decency to apologise for your mistake.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    rayjay wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

Perhaps you should go back and see the context in which the word autistic was used. It was used as an insult.
    it was not a compliment and this was confirmed when HM repeated the word in a follow up post.

Rayjay let it go. It was a crass thing to say, but it only words rise above it be the better/decent man.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    rayjay wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

I'm well aware of the context it was used in:
    The thing you don't seem to be able to accept is that people like Millar partly because they watched him make a mistake and then watched him repent and come back to make a positive (not a pun) contribution to the issue. Not everyone is as black/white as you, rayjay. I don't mean this as an insult but I think you might be autistic? You don't seem to realise that for many people, human relations are a little more complicated than your own approach. Can you see the difference between Armstrong and Millar (not the comedians) and their doping experience? Would you say you understand empathy as a concept? Can you give us an example of an individual you feel has made a mistake and a circumstance where you have or might forgive that person? You're in a desert walking along in the sand when you see....
    I don't see a lot wrong with that. Worded a little bluntly perhaps, but it's not an insult. You chose to take it that way, and as I said considering it as something insulting and offensive is in itself offensive. So what exactly do I have to apologise for? Pointing out your mistakes? If anyone needs to apologise it's you for derailing another thread with your endless drivel (that was an insult).
  • rayjay
    Spot on FocusZing.
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Peperone-Women-Purple-Handbag_bbaeee56528671f7a41ccf18fbfc658f_images_1080_1440_mini.jpg
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • heavymental
    Had some of my bread for lunch today. Cheese, lettuce and mayo sandwich. Nice but quite heavy. Didn't even bother with the boiled egg I took to work and don't really feel hungry now. More kneading and maybe an additional 'knocking back' required I think.

Got to try and source a large bag of peanuts at a decent price now for the attempt on homemade peanut butter. Shelled but untreated would be ideal. Might try the Asian foods shop when I'm next in the area.

Cripes... guess I should address rayjay's concerns now... Look, I even said I didn't mean it as an insult. I do admit it was a bit blunt. I've just looked at the website you recommended and it confirmed what I thought; that those with autism find it hard to empathise with others and communication can be difficult. You didn't go near my original questions about forgiveness and empathy. Not that I'm bothered about you answering them now this has all got out of hand. I was just pointing out that you seem to find it impossible to understand why anyone would like the guy and ridicule anyone who gives him a break to such an extent that I feel you might have some issues with empathy.