Washing Camelbak?

simmo3801
simmo3801 Posts: 486
edited November 2013 in MTB general
Anybody put their camelbak rucksack in the washing machine? I generally rinse mine off in the shower but it could really do with more than that now.
Giant Anthem X3 2013

Comments

• mainsy
    mainsy Posts: 57
    I did last weekend, it was beyond filthy, 40c wash and it came out looking like new
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Do it lots on a quick wash, never a problem, just take the bladder out. :p
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And the cake. Obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mainsy
    mainsy Posts: 57
    I coated mine today with fabsil, a spray on waterproofer, and rinsed it under the tap when I got home. It's spotless, the muck couldn't stick and came straight off.
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    Mainsy wrote:
    I coated mine today with fabsil, a spray on waterproofer, and rinsed it under the tap when I got home. It's spotless, the muck couldn't stick and came straight off.

Hmm, think I have a can of that kicking around somewhere. Cheers!
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Never. Just let the mud dry and brush off. Bladder is just rinsed with tap water and chucked in freezer.
  • Wipe the worst of it off with a cloth then wash once a month. Always wash with tall the zips up otherwise you might ruin a pocket like I did. Keep your bladder in the fridge.
  • Excuse my ignorance, but why keep the bladder in the fridge/freezer. I usually rinse mine out, bit of kitchen towel to dry inside and hang it up to dry.

Andy
  • andyc-43 wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance, but why keep the bladder in the fridge/freezer.

Stops it going manky. If you've just got the one and it's used regularly then it's fine but if, for whatever reason, you tend to have a couple on the go then sticking them in the freezer keeps them clean.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Hose the pack down (empty) then rinse out bladder and freeze.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Always chuck the bladder from mine in the freezer, never need to really clean it that way! Simples
  • ED-864
    ED-864 Posts: 11
    I always keep my bladders in the freezer; hassle free. I usually let the mud dry on the pack and brush the worst off just so that it doesn't leave dry mud trails all around for the house. The fabsil (or Nikwax tent and gear proofer) seems like a good idea though.
  • Another vote for the freezer and don't use juice/squash/cordial in it as the sugar sets the mould off if you don't wash it thoroughly.
    Advocate of disc brakes.