Turbo Training Newbie?

Dazza @>@'
Dazza @>@' Posts: 65
Hello,
I'm Looking to buy a turbo trainer, wheel and tyre and use it for winter training. I am interested in using real ride type dvds.

I have looked and searched but still confused.
What trainer(s) are good to put with what dvds and how do they actually work?
Are there on a budget ways to do it yet still get a good experience?

Finally: I have a TREK DOMANE 2.3 I know I should get a trainer tyre but should I also get a rear wheel 700c with the same gears Tiagra 12-30 cassette?

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    The one I have has a dvd of part of one of the Italian tours, it gives info on what tension level and HR you should be at during the ride and runs for an hour. It's an Elite Mag cost about £140, had it a while and it has been fine.
    Another option you could take is get any turbo and use the Sufferfest dvd's for training.

Your gearing options are up to you ie go for a wheel and cassette the same as your existing so you have a spare or go for a cassette with a different ratio say 11/25 for if ever you are feeling the need to change and feel it will suit your riding. TBH I would go for the same as you have now but others may have different views.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Liquid or Magnetic resistance are the ones to look for on noise alone. The trainer doesn't make any difference to what dvd you watch. The machine provides your resistance and ability to ride indoors, the DVD something to follow. A root a turbo is a turbo the further up the price chain you go the fancier the bells and whistles. Top end TACX have virtual reality software so you can ride pretty much anywhere that's on google stalker. It depends how deep your pockets are. I've used a basic magnetic resistance one for years but borrowing my colleagues with a computer system attached made life a little easier but nothing you couldn't do with a bike computer with HR and cadence on.

Sufferfest and 3LC.tv videos seem pretty popular
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Fluid resistance is normally better. If you are getting a new wheel then I shouldn't bother with a 12-30 cassette, there are no hills so you may as well use a 12-21 or something. To be honest the difference between mega expensive and mega cheap turbos is not that vast, just make sure it's not got a fan resistance unit.

I'm completely confused and struggling to find a wheel, now you throw in the 12-30 cassette thing. So I can get a cheaper rear wheel and cassette for the turbo trainer? God this is confusing.

I have decided on sufferfest, I'll look to get a mag trainer with manual resistance (is that right)? Finally a trainer tyre.

Anything else I have forgot or thought wrongly?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Dazza @>@' wrote:
    I'm completely confused and struggling to find a wheel, now you throw in the 12-30 cassette thing. So I can get a cheaper rear wheel and cassette for the turbo trainer? God this is confusing.

I have decided on sufferfest, I'll look to get a mag trainer with manual resistance (is that right)? Finally a trainer tyre.

Anything else I have forgot or thought wrongly?

Get a cheaper wheel with whatever cassette you fancy, in my first post I suggested the same cassette as you have now because you are used to it, also it is a straight swap and you should be able to stick it on the bike and away you go.

The mag turbo with the manual resistance will be fine, mine is the same, it's not noisy and gets a lot of use all through the year. Definitely get a turbo tyre it will last years and Sufferfest will really make you work. Get yourself a floor fan or similar you will need it. :)
  • Thanks so far, its a mine field and so confusing.

I have £300 to get myself set up and away. Any advice on which 700c wheel and chainset to go for?

I know I'll be looking to gumtree or ebay for 2nd hand decent brand or cheaper new one?

The tyre well Schwalbe insider tyre £26.99

£24 ISLAGIATT (Endurance) & Downward Spiral (Speed) for the sufferfest.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    E bay are doing WHR501 Shimano rear only wheels @ £44.99.

I 'm Using the old rear of my B Twin 3 commuter hack and I ve put a Tiagra 10 speed cassette on that cost £20 new.

The tyres a good price (Schwalbe insider) I ve got a Tacx one I payed full RRP on as the shop Got my seized 8 speed cassette of the wheel for me at no charge and gave me some spacers for a ten speed cassette (don't actually need them with the Tiagra, but might switch it for the ultegra off one of my bikes.)

I went for a fluid trainer in the end Cycleops Fluid 2 the resistance ramps up with harder efforts automatically so cassette ratios are not such an issue.

I ve got an old lap top which hopefully (tomorrow) I m going to run Trainerroad on, Garmin Speed Cadence and HR sensors, and an ANT dongle (don't ask tomorrow will show whether that will make or break me)

So all in I m about at £300.

But to potentially train with "Virtual Power" and have a stack load of metrics to keep me motivated and entertained then its probably come in at the cost of a Winter Hack.

But to your original point , I d defo go for a spare rear wheel and if I hadn't already got one the 501 would have been my choice.